mellowing the oak flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
How long should a whiskey soaked oak chip stout age? I have sampled a bit and it is super oaky. I am hoping with time it will mellow...

It is really up to your personal taste. Kind of like asking "how much ketchup should I put on my burger" I would say let it go at least 3months before you start sampling every month or so until you get it where you like it

It is really up to your personal taste. Kind of like asking "how much ketchup should I put on my burger" I would say let it go at least 3months before you start sampling every month or so until you get it where you like it

+1 to this...

Like Parker said, every recipe is different as is the brewer's tastes, it's all subjective...there's not a scientific way to know these things.

I would sample a bottle every four weeks til you get it to the level you want...

How much did you use and for how long? Just curious because I brewed my porter yesterday that has 2oz chips soaking in bourbon in its future.

I have brewed 30 gallons now of oak stout and each batch I have backed off a little on the oak. I think a little goes a long way. I am now using 1 ounce of light toast chips per carboy for 1 week. The batches I over did definetly mellowed. It took a month or so and I noticed it will only mellow so much. The aroma and flavor are trapped in that bottle.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, just a quick question (as this whole subject interests me...)

IF you don't souse your chips with whiskey or such, how should I sanitize them before putting them into a secondary?

One idea I read about was using a vegetable steamer for 20 minutes. Would that be adequate?

Don't mean to hijack this thread, just a quick question (as this whole subject interests me...)

IF you don't souse your chips with whiskey or such, how should I sanitize them before putting them into a secondary?

One idea I read about was using a vegetable steamer for 20 minutes. Would that be adequate?

Yep, heat always works. You could use a wet heat (steam or boil) or a dry heat in the oven.

I bake at 180-190 for 20 minutes on tin foil. When ready I just fold the tin foil over them and they are ready to go in the fermenter.

I boil some water, take off heat, add the chips, wait a minute or 2 then add to vessel. Basically I make oak tea.

Keep in mind when comparing what you used to some one else, that it's not just the weight of the chips, but the size (surface area).

Back