kegged beer, didnt purge airspace, oxidation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoop

Reaction score
So, my wife and I just had a baby a few weeka ago, and last weekend I kegged 2 beers I've got going. Unfortunately, I was pretty tired and completely forgot to purge the airspace in the keg before I force carbonated them. There wasn't that much airspace, I filled them up pretty high, maybe a couple inches of space. Should I be worried about oxidation? Is there anything I can do at this point if there could be a problem?

Should I be drinking them pretty fast before damage sets in or can I keep them around for a while?

I did notice they started fermenting again a little (everytime I went out my regulator had higher pressures than supposed to so I bled them off), will the yeast use up enough of the oxygen before it causes damage?

The two beers are a light cream ale and a stout.

It is what it is and there ain't a damn thing you can do. Sounds like the air is out of the keg now. The fermenting in the keg is a good thing imo. It means you don't have to drink sweet unfinished beer. I wouldn't bleed it any more until it's carbed up personally to save co2. It will carb up faster this way too.

Ya, thats what I figured, just wanted to hear it from someone else. Good idea saving the co2. Thanks!

I forgot to purge a keg once, and to make matters worse I shook the keg to force carbonate, and it still seemed fine and didn't taste oxidized IMO??? If you keep the keg cold, it will hold up much bettter than warm. Beer oxidizes much faster in warm storage than cold storage. RDWHAHB

I forgot to purge a keg once, and to make matters worse I shook the keg to force carbonate, and it still seemed fine and didn't taste oxidized IMO??? If you keep the keg cold, it will hold up much bettter than warm. Beer oxidizes much faster in warm storage than cold storage. RDWHAHB

I've done the same thing and didn't notice oxidation. My personal opinion is that the purge step is overkill.

Crap, reading this reminded me that I probably didn't purge my keg from Saturday. Only had it on 12 PSI, think its worth purging still?

What's done is done. It's probably fine. Purge it now a few times to keep any further oxidation from occurring.

Are you sure that your beer started fermenting in the keg? How much higher did the psi go up? I've seen it my regulator read a higher PSI than I set it at just because it was taking a long time to reach equilibrium, the biggest difference I've ever seen was a 4 PSI difference over the course of a few hours.
To answer your original question, I've only forgotten to purge once and it wasnt a problem, it tasted great and that was with me shaking the hell out of the keg too

Not 100% sure it started fermenting again, havent taken any readings since kegging. It went up a few psi per day for about 5 days. I thought it might be temperatue changes as the beer cools (although you think that would reduce it) so I just bled it out, but after a few days I settled with a secondary fermentation. I never used a secondary this time, and kegged straight from primary after 5 week. What's the theory behind the pressure go up while it's equilizing?

Back