Cyser questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llama

Reaction score
Hey All-

I picked up 5 gallons of apple cider, 3 pounds of honey, some yeast nutrient, and white labs sweet mead 720 yeasts.

I'm just curious... how much of the yeast nutrient should I use? does anyone have any idea how long it will take to ferment/be drinkable?

Thanks All :fro:

The Nutrient should have instructions...about 1 tsp per gallon.

You're going to be a bit faster than usual with your low sugar content, but I'll bet that you will end up dry instead of sweet. You just won't have enough sugar for that yeast to poop out. You may need to add more honey.

The nutrient says 1/2 teaspoon for 5 gallons.

The dude at my LHBS said 1 tsp per gallon, too.

How much more honey should I add? I would prefer the ABV to be around 7.

If you are going for 7% then you might already be over that. Cider alone will get you between 5 and 7% straight. So you can't really make a 7% cyser, as you won't have a lot of honey in the mix. Though what you have will produce a pretty tasty beverage.

I calculated an estimate SG of 1.065, and assuming you ferment to dryness (pretty likely) you should get around 8-8.5%

Depends mostly on the yeast, but most meads won't have much of a krausen in my experience, certainly not one that compares to a traditional beer krausen.

Latest posts

Back