Crushed Grain in Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4day4me

Reaction score
I just got my beer ingredients and crushed Grains delivered and I'm not able to brew until next week. I put my crushed grain into the freezer, is this ok to do ? I've never seen anyone ask about this so I hope it's ok..? :eek:

Thanks

4day4me

Your fine. Just pull them out in time for them to warm up so you don't have to adjust your temps. This is assuming your doing an all-grain with 8 or more pounds.If this is just a small amount (1-2lbs) then don't even worry about pulling them out until your ready.

Is it necessary to store crushed grain in the freezer in between uses? Or will a cool dry place work also?

As I understand it cool and dry is all you need. One week in the fridge won't hurt either.

I'm down with cool & dry, as well. As far as I understand it grain will last for months if it's cool and dry, whether it's crushed or not. Having said that, I'll store uncrushed grain for months, but crushed grains I'll only store for a few weeks. Given my druthers I'll crush the night before I brew.

Uncrushed grains are good for months in a cool dry location, crushed grains less than one month. Freezing won't hurt. I keep all of my extra supplies in the top of the kegger.

What happens to crushed grains that doesn't happen to uncrushed grains if they're stored cool and dry? It's basically flour and I can only see the moisture absorption would happen faster.

I'm leary of putting anything in the fridge or freezer that may absorb odors.

BeeGee said:
What happens to crushed grains that doesn't happen to uncrushed grains if they're stored cool and dry?

Nothing. It makes no difference. This stuff about grains going bad is just more 'the sky is falling' unfounded **** that tends to circulate brewing circles. Yes, it can rot if left in a damp place but aside from that they're good for an almost indefinite time period.

Somebody please step forward with first handed documented experience if you know different.:D

Back