Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"your double-IPA is too hoppy"

Almost caught up but this recent one caught my eye. Sounds like every beer Short's makes with pronounced hops. The pales are hopped like IPAs, the IPAs like IIPAs, and I can't even describe how over-hopped the IIPAs are. :(

Read, not heard but I did burst out laughing at this nonsense.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411765276.063969.jpg

At the risk of ending up an idiot...where's the error in that description?

Cheers!

For me, it's "however sometimes it's left in to add cloudiness."

Yeast is left in to add flavor, not cloudiness. The cloudiness just happens to be a result of leaving the yeast in, but is not the desired effect in and of itself... or so I would argue.

Maybe that's nit-picky though.

I'd say that the cloudiness is true for a Hefe. I agree there are better descriptions of what yeast does, but I don't think that sign is completely ridiculous.

To me it is the left in for cloudiness. Far more about letting flavors develop but no mention of that. Over simplification because us poor folk can't understand the complete reason.

To me it is the left in for cloudiness. Far more about letting flavors develop but no mention of that. Over simplification because us poor folk can't understand the complete reason.

Seriously? I thought for sure it was the affects color line. I have never noticed a yeast to affect color. Clarity maybe, but not color.

Perhaps it was unintentional, but that use of "effect" as a verb is entirely correct. And yeast definitely play a role in the final color of a beer.

I have the same arguments. They want me to quit everything while they quit nothing. Just an excuse for them to have more of your money to spend on what they want...

walked past the roasted chicken at Wally World today and was amazed at how much heat it was putting off.

now what friggin' genius thought it would be a good idea to put beer next to it?

IMG_0134.jpg

Ha! Call yourself a home brewer! Blue moon isn't BEER! It's ALE!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The Mrs. was at the hardware store and I'd asked her to check for a few items I needed. She asked one of the guys there for help and he was curious what the project was. When she told him I was making beer he said "Great! Can he make ale, too?"

walked past the roasted chicken at Wally World today and was amazed at how much heat it was putting off.

now what friggin' genius thought it would be a good idea to put beer next to it?

View attachment 226275

$16.28 for Blue Moon??? I don't even want to know what the craft beer prices are like in Virginia...

As for funny things about beer, I've got a new story from last night. So we head down to our city's historical museum's second annual beer tasting, which is turning into a big hit. I though I would hear more things worthy of this thread but I think I stayed too close to my friends and family who appreciate beer, so I've only got two.

After enjoying Atwater's Hop-a-peel (IIPA) for my first mug, I stopped by the Keweenaw Brewing station to try their black ale, which was one of five beers on their menu. The historical society volunteer I gave my mug poured out of a tap that wasn't labeled black ale, but since I knew they had been rotating some of the beers all night I didn't think much of it until I noticed the beer was rather dark brown in color. I asked her about it and she said "that's the darkest beer on tap." I calmly told her that, no, I was asking for the black ale that's on the sheet, and again she said "yes, that's the darkest one we have." It took a few more back and fourths of the same exchange, as I got more agitated each time, before she started to understand that there was actually something called "black ale" on their menu sheet. I felt bad that they had to dump the whole glass, but I had already tasted the brown ale from my wife's mug and I wanted something different, so I eventually ended up with the Scotch ale. Meh, I haven't found a Scotch ale that measures up to Founder's Dirty Bastard and I always end up disappointed.

Afterwards, I also overheard the typical "I don't like dark beers" line. Some lady was suggesting what looked like a brown ale to her friend, saying that it doesn't taste like dark beers, but she was still having none of it. I couldn't imagine life without trying new and interesting and different things all of the time. :(

As for funny things about beer, I've got a new story from last night. So we head down to our city's historical museum's second annual beer tasting, which is turning into a big hit.

I assume you mean Dearborn Heights which your profile says is your residence. How did I not know about this? I live in Garden City and sat at home last night :(

You didn't miss much with the keewenaw. I had it a few weeks ago. It was ok, but nothing to seek out.

Two hearted is $11 for a six pack in western KY. I wish it was cheaper. I wouldn't drink much else.

There's a german bakery here on the other side of town that is having something called Strudelfest. It's what it sounds like. They make a bunch of different strudels that aren't available year round and it is supposed to coincide with Oktoberfest in Germany. One of their special strudels has dunkel in the name so I asked if it was really made with dunkel. The girl says, "I don't know what dunkel is but I know they use dark beer in it."

To be fair dunkel means dark in German. LOL

yeah, yeah, yeah.

take it to the "joining 2 pieces of metal" thread

;)

Actually we had it in that thread then the Black Label tin solderers showed up and highjacked it. Last I knew it was full of Mable pinups.

I assume you mean Dearborn Heights which your profile says is your residence. How did I not know about this? I live in Garden City and sat at home last night :(

You didn't miss much with the keewenaw. I had it a few weeks ago. It was ok, but nothing to seek out.

Actually it was over in Dearborn, the Historical Museum put it on for the second year now. They don't do much advertising besides word of mouth and some signs around town, but that's enough to get our attention. Plus, one of our favorite local bands, Junction Groove, was the live entertainment. :ban:

Two hearted is $11 for a six pack in western KY. I wish it was cheaper. I wouldn't drink much else.

It's not much better here in Michigan where it's brewed, $9-$10 for a sixer, maybe $8.49 on sale. Demand always remains high, I assume.

I was at a little brewery in Chilton, WI after work a while ago and in the bathroom above the urinal was a sign that read:
"Please flush twice. Its a long way to St. Louis."

Pretty sure I've been to that place. Don't they have a "no canoe sex" sign at the bar? If you ask what it means, the bartender says it's a reference to those beers that are "f***ing close to water."

Latest posts

Back