Cold Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dtrain

Reaction score
Hi All-

I teach at a community college that has a very large manufacturing technology program, including a working foundry. I'm in the market for a cold plate for my homemade jockey box and decided to see if our foundry casts aluminum. Low and behold they do A LOT of aluminum casting. If I can get them some basic plans they would make me a cold plate for free (and a few homebrews)! I'm thinking a 2-pass cold plate for a double-tap jockey box.

I've got a few questions as I've never seen the internal schematics for a cold plate:

1. Based on the cost of ss, would it be worth it?

2. How much coiling of the ss tubing do you think is needed?

3. Do you think that ss compression fittings could be used to connect the ss tubes in the aluminum to the in and out beer lines?

4. I've seen pictures online of threaded fittings connected to the tubes that are imbedded in the Al. Anyone know what these are and how they are connected to the ss tubing?

5. Any recommendations on where to by ss tubing at a reasonable price?

Thanks!

Don't know any details regarding the questions you asked, but I'd be interested in seeing what you'd charge a fellow homebrewer to make an extra plate.

Good luck, man. Sounds like you've got a unique opportunity there with the local foundry.

Back