What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a good time at a local beer bar that does a nice draft list every year on Black Friday. Here's what I had
:
2011 cantillon kriek
Hill Farmstead Arthur
Black butte XXV
Doom
Struisse Black Albert
Parabola
2008 Olde School Barley Wine
Blind Pig

Here's a few pics (all the RIS look the same pretty much...)

image-3424481908.jpg

image-1990402452.jpg

image-3085993237.jpg

image-2580537210.jpg

ChefRex said:
Haven't had it, how do you like it?

Very nice. Mildly tart, full raspberry flavor, completely hides the alcohol content. Nice pop to the cork, but almost no head, which surprised me.

I picked up a bottle of Halia earlier today, but now I'm thinking I should have picked up another bottle of this to age longer.

BGBC said:
Very nice. Mildly tart, full raspberry flavor, completely hides the alcohol content. Nice pop to the cork, but almost no head, which surprised me.

I picked up a bottle of Halia earlier today, but now I'm thinking I should have picked up another bottle of this to age longer.

I like that a lot too, but somebody (Gabe maybe?) said it doesn't really improve much with age fwiw.

wobrien said:
I like that a lot too, but somebody (Gabe maybe?) said it doesn't really improve much with age fwiw.

Interesting. My experience with sours/wilds is definitely still limited, but it's a delicious learning process.

allenH said:
Man, I wish that was possible. If only it was this weekend, my only free weekend in 3 months. Next weekend I have my 2 year old. La Fin Du Monde, with 6oz coarse ground espresso beans steeping in the background, bottling an 11% RIS (MZ style) Sunday.
It's this Tuesday!

so how is it ?

After a hard day, it's like heaven with a good cigar.
Specifically, it's butter smooth with the perfect bourbon/malt/heat balance. It's my first encounter with the stuff, so can't speak on comparison to other years. I do have just enough put a few down for a while.

Having LotM b3, working on recipes for double brew day tomorrow. Hoppy pale ale and Pomelo Wheat Ipa I'll bottle with brett.

Finishing off the Riserva. Dregs went into a small starter, to be pitched into the cider at some point over the weekend.

TNGabe said:
Having LotM b3, working on recipes for double brew day tomorrow. Hoppy pale ale and Pomelo Wheat Ipa I'll bottle with brett.

I'm planning on doing a 100% Brett fermented beer. What Brett strain do you recommend?

Having my second pour of Beer'd Brewing Realization DIPA since getting home with the growler. I'm tempted to finish off the growler tonight, but I want to be up at 5 am to try to go kill Bambi. We'll see how the night progresses.

A blended braggot i just decided to do. 12 oz of Founders porter and 4 oz of a vanilla mead i made in january. Actually tastes incredible. The honey and vanilla go great with the porter. Maybe i will try something similar in the future with the recipe i used to make a founders porter clone.

image-17852983.jpg

nukebrewer said:
Having my second pour of Beer'd Brewing Realization DIPA since getting home with the growler. I'm tempted to finish off the growler tonight, but I want to be up at 5 am to try to go kill Bambi. We'll see how the night progresses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93961624@N06/11125135425

I'm heading back out tomorrow afternoon through Sunday evening. Hoping to kill something a little larger than Bambi. :D
Maybe Bambi's mom, this is the last weekend I can take a doe.

snowdrift said:
2012 KBS is on deck :)

Bringing out the big guns later. ;) I can't wait for this next year's KBS release. I should actually be able to find some.

mcbaumannerb said:
This might just put me to sleep...

At least it will be a tasty sleep!

Put you to sleep? It's a breakfast stout! It's supposed to wake you up! ;)

DisturbdChemist said:
Having a beer at the Alamo drafthouse before the second movie of the day. Blazin saddles quote a long. Excuse me while I whip this out

I would quote with you, but most of the best quotes can't be said here. :D

I'm planning on doing a 100% Brett fermented beer. What Brett strain do you recommend?

Depends? Do you want it to taste like mint or taste like bubblegum?

That's like asking what strain to use for a 100% sacchromyces beer. :D

What sort of beer do you want to make? I don't think the main WL or Wyeast stuff is well suited to primary, but someone you know may or may not be getting some other brett strains if they ever get home from watching Mel Brooks movies….

I've only done a few all brett beers and it hasn't been my thing. The beers I made with WLP 645 Brett C were quite tart and not what I expected. I might have sent you one, I can't remember. First one actually turned out well enough I made it again, but when I looked into it Chad Yakobson found pichia and lacto in 645. I've also used some cantillon isolated stuff for primary and ended up adding dregs to it as the result of the brett primary was oddly perfumey.

I like brett is better for mixed fermentations or as a bottling strain, depending on what I'm looking for.

TNGabe said:
Depends? Do you want it to taste like mint or taste like bubblegum?

That's like asking what strain to use for a 100% sacchromyces beer. :D

What sort of beer do you want to make? I don't think the main WL or Wyeast stuff is well suited to primary, but someone you know may or may not be getting some other brett strains if they ever get home from watching Mel Brooks movies….

I've only done a few all brett beers and it hasn't been my thing. The beers I made with WLP 645 Brett C were quite tart and not what I expected. I might have sent you one, I can't remember. First one actually turned out well enough I made it again, but when I looked into it Chad Yakobson found pichia and lacto in 645. I've also used some cantillon isolated stuff for primary and ended up adding dregs to it as the result of the brett primary was oddly perfumey.

I like brett is better for mixed fermentations or as a bottling strain, depending on what I'm looking for.

I want to do something like a white IPA with all Nelson Sauvin. I would like to add Brett to the mix. I'm just trying to put together ideas for this beer. I've used Brett in secondary with good results. Maybe I'll just stick to that or perhaps bottling with Brett. About what FG do you shoot for when Brett bottling?

Back