1st IPA Recipe-Feedback Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbgait

Reaction score
I have been brewing extract recipes for a while now and have decided to come up with my own recipe for my first IPA. I plan to brew this weekend, and would love to get any feedback on this recipe. I feel it is a pretty simple, single hop, IPA.

Simple Centennial IPA

Specialty Grain-
1# Crystal 40L-steeped @ 155 for 25 Min.

Extract-
6.6# of Light Malt (Liquid)

Hops-
1.5oz. Centennial @ 60min
1oz. Centennial @ 40 min
1oz. Centennial @ 20 min
.5oz. Centennial @ 0 min

Yeast
Safale US-05

Please let me know what you think. I was thinking of adding another oz. of hops. Or should I add another "C" hop to balance out the Centennial? Thanks for your feedback.

Looks like a 2 Hearted Clone. I'd dry hop with an oz of Amarillo if it were me. But you can't go wrong with Cascades or more Centennials.

It looks a lot like my house IPA that I based on a 2 hearted clone. My recommendation would be to add a bit more extract 6.6 lbs is a bit light for an IPA. I use 9lbs in mine and it comes out to 1.062 or about 6.4% ABV. I also recommend some dry hops.

Thanks for the replies. I did base this recipe of the two hearted clone recipes out there. I have never dry hopped, and am thinking of doing that on this brew. Should I stay with Centennial or use Cascade and get a bit more citrus? Any thoughts. Also when you dry hop, do you do that in the primary or secondary. I don't do secondaries on any of my brews. I kind of make it my house signature. I like the sediment in the bottom of the bottle and it allows me to pour all my friends brews for them. If it goes in the primary do you have to sanitize it or just throw it in?

I think either cascade or centennial would be great as a dry hop 1 or 2 oz would be great. I dry hop in the primary after the fermentation starts to slow down. There is no need to sanitize the dry hops. Leave them in for 5 to 14 days. The longer you leave them the more of a grassy, vegetable flavor that you will get. The vegetable flavor is something most people try to avoid. Temp also effect how quick you should dry hop. Warmer temps = shorter time. Colder temps work slower so = more time but never more then 14 days +/-

I've brewed a 2 Hearted Clone before and its come out great. My hop schedule is a little different though. Here's my recipe

6 lbs Light DME
2 lbs Vienna Malt
1/2 lbs Crystal 20L

1.5oz Centennial 60 min
0.5oz Centennial 20 min
1.0oz Centennial 15 min
1.0oz Cascade 10 min
1.0oz Cascade Flameout
1.0oz Cascade Dry Hop
1.0oz Centennial Dry Hop

US-05

I'd stick with just centennial. It's great on its own, plus then you get to learn more about it. I agree with everyone else on the dry hop add and the only thing I'd change with the recipe is moving the 40min add to 10mins instead to get more flavor out of them. You can just add some of the extract late to account for the drop in IBUs

I've brewed a 2 Hearted Clone before and its come out great. My hop schedule is a little different though. Here's my recipe

6 lbs Light DME
2 lbs Vienna Malt
1/2 lbs Crystal 20L

1.5oz Centennial 60 min
0.5oz Centennial 20 min
1.0oz Centennial 15 min
1.0oz Cascade 10 min
1.0oz Cascade Flameout
1.0oz Cascade Dry Hop
1.0oz Centennial Dry Hop

US-05

I'm sure it tasted great, but two hearted is all centennial fyi.

To the OP, Bell's and Founder's both make fantastic all centennial IPAs, so if you want to do a single hop IPA, go for it. I would put a hop addition(s) between the 20 and 0 at some point. Maybe move the 40 minute addition to 30 if you need to adjust the IBUs, or even just drop it completely and make it up on the late additions. Have you run this through beersmith or something similar to estimate an OG or IBUs?

EDIT: +1 to dryhopping too.

Back