keggerator questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thejiro

Reaction score
SO for a keggerator I am using a frgidaire chest freezer on a temp controller set so that it doesnt freeze my beers. I dont have tap handles set up on it. I am using picnic taps on my cornies. I have been having an issue with mildew on the sides of my chest freezer and kegs. I think part of that has to do with the fact that some of beer is left in the tip of the taps no matter what.

My question is, is there a way to prevent this from happeneing until I can set up proper tap handles on my keggerator?

TIA
Ken

I would bet the mildew is not from any beer drippage, but due to having to open the chest freezer every time you want to pour a pint. Moist air gets in along with some air-borne nasties, the moisture condenses into water (chest freezers are very adept at making things cool in a hurry) and the nasties have their own private pool to play in.

You could mitigate the moisture problem somewhat by placing some absorbing material (ie: calcium chloride) in tubs within the freezer, but I wouldn't expect that to solve it all. Outfitting your keezer with some faucets so you don't have to open it so often would be the best way to go...

Cheers!

Thats what i figured ill try the calcium carbonate until i can get some proper taps set up on it

Back