Ventilation Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatfieldenator

Reaction score
I have a dilemma to solve with my brewery. Until now I have been doing all of my boiling outdoors with a gas burner. I do all my mashing and sparging indoors already. I don't really bother with any sort of ventilation with the mashing portion, but since I've built a Kal clone panel I'm ready to start doing my boils indoors. For this I obviously need to ventilate the room in which its in.
The boil kettle will be placed directly in front of a large window and I'm wondering if you guys think a simple box fan set in the window blowing out will be enough to adequately ventilate the room while boiling? There's also another window on the adjancent wall I can open at the same time to provide incoming air.

The only other option would be to rig up some sort of vent hood, but I'm trying to avoid that because it would be a bit of an eye sore in the room and would also cost a lot more than buying a box fan?

The boil kettle will be placed directly in front of a large window and I'm wondering if you guys think a simple box fan set in the window blowing out will be enough to adequately ventilate the room while boiling? There's also another window on the adjancent wall I can open at the same time to provide incoming air.

Yes, the box fan will be more than adequate. Opening an adjacent window for make up air is a very good practice. One of my brew buddies gets by with only a relatively small window fan; maybe 10" diameter or so. He brews with propane and he has a digital CO detector in the brewing area. He never gets a reading on the detector and has no problem exhausting steam.

Well that's good to know! Thanks for the input, I guess I'll be able to go with the cheap route.

Back