how to add body?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaronIV

Reaction score
Recently i bottled a basic cider that i made with 1 gallon of store bought juice and notty yeast. I let it ferment dry then stabilized and backsweetened with a can of apple/raspberry concentrate. The SG after the conc. was about 1.022 so its sweet enough for my liking, but the cider still seems really thin and watery...

anyways, question is, how do i add more body to the cider so it doesnt seem so watery?

Cider has very little body, unless it is carbonated. You could try some maltodextrin, 1-2 ounces should do it.

sadly right now im stuck using store bought juice for my recipes. 1) its the middle of winter. and 2) there aren't many good orchards around here to get good juice from

and sadly again, i want to make a cider drink that the swmbo can drink and she cant have gluten, thus, no malt :/

Recently i bottled a basic cider that i made with 1 gallon of store bought juice and notty yeast. I let it ferment dry then stabilized and backsweetened with a can of apple/raspberry concentrate. The SG after the conc. was about 1.022 so its sweet enough for my liking, but the cider still seems really thin and watery...

anyways, question is, how do i add more body to the cider so it doesnt seem so watery?

You could always add chopped raisins to your primary ferment. While this won't help the batch you've already fermented, it might help on future batches. Regards, GF.

i picked up some maltodextrin and plan on bottling the butter rum cider batch soon, so i'll try it out on that one and see how it goes.

tannins/acid and carbonation add percieved body to ciders, but for these to develop you need to do some pretty long-term aging, like 6 months or more. IMHO.

Tannins add body and astringency, but tannins aint tannins, winemakers can talk endlessly about the quality and fineness of the tannins in their wines. Tea has tannins so people use teabags.
Tannins are complex polyphenols, which change and develop with ageing. Bitter varieties of cider apples, and many crabapples, are high in tannins.

You can use non-fermentable sugars; Maltodextrin, Splenda or lactose. Aside from the Splenda the maltodextrine and lactose will not add much for sweetness. The latter two will add mouth feel.

Thanks for all your help! I bought some maltodextrin, which helped a considerable amount when I added some to a bottle that I opened. I'll also look into the tannins for the next batch that I end up brewing. I appreciate the responses greatly!

Back