small red dots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just looked them up, not quite what i'm looking at here. when i head back to the farm i'll grab a leaf and get a better pic. good looks on the link.

Your post is dating a bit but... if it has been raining a lot for many days before your picture... downy mildew. Depending of the plant, they react differently. Some only get some light "bronzing" and small dots on the lower leaves.

so i'm thinking my plants have Phyllosticta leaf spot.

Phyllosticta attacks leaves of hops and range from a few brown spots to engulfing the entire plant. It creates irregular brown to yellow lesions. At the center of the lesions will result in dead tissue that will eventually break off and leave a hole in the leaf. Moisture contributes to providing a good resting ground for Phyllosticta spores. Overhead irrigation should be avoided to keep moisture on the leaves to a minimum

so basically just let things dry out and hope for the best?

so i'm thinking my plants have Phyllosticta leaf spot.

Phyllosticta attacks leaves of hops and range from a few brown spots to engulfing the entire plant. It creates irregular brown to yellow lesions. At the center of the lesions will result in dead tissue that will eventually break off and leave a hole in the leaf. Moisture contributes to providing a good resting ground for Phyllosticta spores. Overhead irrigation should be avoided to keep moisture on the leaves to a minimum

so basically just let things dry out and hope for the best?

Hummmm... copy-paste Beerlegends ? :D

You're the one who knows for your plants. Here, it has been raining almost everyday for the past 2 weeks and I have some plants with bottom leaves like yours. I got 1 basal spike on 1 plant + damage on leaves... that's how I am pretty sure that it is downy mildew all the way. Copper based or sulfur based fungicide will usually do the job of stopping the damages.

Hummmm... copy-paste Beerlegends ? :D

You're the one who knows for your plants. Here, it has been raining almost everyday for the past 2 weeks and I have some plants with bottom leaves like yours. I got 1 basal spike on 1 plant + damage on leaves... that's how I am pretty sure that it is downy mildew all the way. Copper based or sulfur based fungicide will usually do the job of stopping the damages.

yup yup you know it! any specific recs on what to use on them?

Your post is dating a bit but... if it has been raining a lot for many days before your picture... downy mildew. Depending of the plant, they react differently. Some only get some light "bronzing" and small dots on the lower leaves.

do the dots end up eating away the leaves leaving holes?

yup yup you know it! any specific recs on what to use on them?

You should read this.

Last year, I have used a copper based fungicide found in a home garden center.

You can also remove and destroy the bottom leaves of your plants. Good cultural practises said that you should remove all the leaves that grows 2 or 3 feets above the ground to prevent mildew problems. You will see pictures in the UVM's document.

do the dots end up eating away the leaves leaving holes?

No, but the entire leaf may die.

right on darkcoder, was actually reading that uvm link mentioned in another thread on my phone for a WHILE (on my phone) and the last chart never showed up on it. needless to say glad i clicked on your link here on the computer.

SO MUCH rain here in maine so far and a fair amount of humidity, of course. havne't watered them in about a month.

Back