Goodbye Ventmatics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevecaaster

Reaction score
Sad news, some crazy legal situation in shirrons HQ has resulted in the production of ventmatics to cease.

I am worried that I will no longer be able to find parts for them.

Is anyone else worried that when a ventmatic or 2 on your kegerator craps out in 5 years you wont be able to source the rebuild kit to replace a crapped up gasket? I am trying to get 2 rebuild kits per each ventmatic I have, to squirrel them away. the rest of the faucet would survive a nuclear holocaust (they are built like tanks) but the contact points ( the 2 rubber o rings, 2 cup seals, few other o rings scattered about) will definatly crap out eventually.

anyone know where i can get some parts for these beauties? until then no one but ME is pulling pints, i cant risk it!

Search for ventmatic online and you will see these things disappear and then come back all the time. There are lots of legal issues with the design.

They will most likely cease production until they agree on an amount to pay for royalties for whatever patent they're infringing on, then push the Big Green button on the production line again.
Worst case, just because it's not in an official Ventmatic parts kit, I'm sure you could still find the proper o rings. Most o rings are standard. A company isn't going to occur the cost of using a basic o ring that is specifically made for them if they can get a standard size. The exception would be a gasket made to a particular shape.

I haven't used a Ventmatic but, IIUC, the Perlick forward seal and the Ventmatics are essentially the same. Right?

So wouldn't the gaskets be interchangeable?

I have about 50 Ventmatics left but they are going fast. Buy some facets for parts.

Forrest

I wouldn't worry too much. The ventmatics are so popular and yet kinda pricey that even if the company went under completely, somebody on this site would quickly find a mcmaster part that works as a suitable seal replacement and post the link right here!

evilTOJ, check this out, some people from this site I found are in the know, (from a milwaukee area brewers club):

http://www.free90free.com/peshchat/...ghlight=&sid=d4e387f6518ca16aafe4a62003b7a2d0

well i sent an email to shirron asking about sourcing repair kits and i recieved a speedy reply back stating that they are not allowed to even sell the parts of the faucets either, some guy is sitting on his patent that he won back and they dont know what he is planning on doing with the patent.

looks like I am going to have to source matching sized O-rings, gaskets, and cup seals for my self. man if I blow out one of those nylon cup seals im SCREWED.

Back