Nice article about a lady brewmaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Next she tracked down and begged for a culture of the yeast strain he suggested (called lactobacillus), finally obtaining it from a fellow brewery in Bend."

Haven't yet read the whole thing, but it's funny how literally every human interest news article or report like this that I know *anything* about (not just brewing), has glaring errors like these.

I can read it on my phone without a subscribe box. If I knew that I wouldn't break copyright, I would copy & paste it here.

emjay said:
"Next she tracked down and begged for a culture of the yeast strain he suggested (called lactobacillus), finally obtaining it from a fellow brewery in Bend."

Haven't yet read the whole thing, but it's funny how literally every human interest news article or report like this that I know *anything* about (not just brewing), has glaring errors like these.
Forget that its bacterium and not a yeast.
I was more just interested to know what she was willing to do for it.

Forget that its bacterium and not a yeast.
I was more just interested to know what she was willing to do for it.

I wonder why there aren't more women brewers. Perhaps crass and ******* comments like this one are a contributing factor. I wonder how you would feel if someone made a comment like that about your daughter.

kpfeif said:
I wonder why there aren't more women brewers. Perhaps crass and ******* comments like this one are a contributing factor. I wonder how you would feel if someone made a comment like that about your daughter.

Right, because when someone chooses a hobby they are usually super self conscious about what people will think of them. For your information, there are lots of lady brewers, even ones on here. And if you think large concentrations of women aren't every bit as chauvinistic as men, you have a lot to learn about the opposite sex, my friend. The ladies that are on here are of the more robust type, which is probably why they like good strong beer. And why they can tolerate the company :mug: if I had a daughter, I would probably raise her the same as I raise my three sons: to be strong, and take no crap. Im sure the woman in the article has those same qualities. Sorry if my comment had you all twisted up inside like a little wiener package. I think you over interpreted it.

Btw, using the kind of language you used is not only offensive to both sexes, and is quite crass, but can also get you banned from the forum. Happy brewing

you have a lot to learn about the opposite sex, my friend.

Actually I know plenty about female brewers, because I am one. I'm also an engineer, and I know a thing or two about being the only girl in the room. That's taught me that when someone says something that's offensive, or that propagates harmful stereotypes, I should stand up and tell them what's up.

Your comment may have seemed like a harmless joke among friends to you, but things like that add up. Then I end up "twisted up like a weiner package," and this place becomes a real sausage fest, because women who might have otherwise become brewers or engineers decide do to something else with their lives.

Sorry if my knee-jerk reaction was a bit crude, but as I said, I spend most of my professional time with men, so when I'm taking no crap sometimes I drop an expletive. I'm certainly glad that the men and women on this forum are robust enough to take it.

[\rant], resuming enjoyment of this lovely pint. :mug:

Back