Wheat bier mash help needed, TODAY!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
Hey I'm laying things out for my brew session this afternoon after picking up the kids from school so I have a little time, but not much. I'm about to brew my first wheat bier and wanted to know how to proceed. The grain bill will be approx. 40% wheat malt.

Do I need to do a protein rest?
I'm guessing I do as I've done a blonde with 20something % rye in it that turned out very viscous. I figured that at that percentage I could get away with a single step mash, guess not!

What temp is best for a protein rest?
My guess is 126-130.

I looked at the brew wiki and got some information but couldn't find an exact mashing process for wheat/weissbier. Please share yours with me.

Schlante,
Phillip

Why did you need a protein mash with 20% rye? Why do you think you need a protein mash at all?

I often mash with 60-70% wheat...some rice hulls come in handy, but I usually don't even bother with that.

Step mashing is not usually necessary at all (it's fun sometimes, tho.)

To be clear I didn't protein mash on the rye blonde, yet at 20+% rye malt it was VERY viscous. Thus my question, how should I modify my mash procedure to avoid this in a wheat bier that'll be approx. 40% wheat? I'm not sure it would happen again since it's wheat, but better safe than sorry. So is it a protein rest I need to do, or something else?

Phillip

Rye is much worse in this regard than wheat. MUCH worse.

My Roggenbier (which is about 50% rye) has had this problem a few times...but I have never used a protein rest. It was actually next on my list to attempt perfecting this beer.

I think I've only used a protein rest maybe half a dozen times in the dozens (probably at least 50) of wheat beers that I have made and have never had the same problem that I had with rye. Again, I generally use 60-70% wheat...I don't think it's necessary.

However, if you want to go for it, you can do a protein rest at around 130°F, then step it up (I use decoction or infusion, direct heat is ok too) to ~150°F for your saccharification rest.

I didn't even consider doing a protein rest for the rye blonde because it was such a small percentage of rye malt. So I figured I'd be better off safe than sorry with what looks like it'll be 42% wheat malt bier. Thanks for the input Death.

For the record I'm attempting a 'rough' clone of Blue Heron a discontinued brew from Lazy Magnolia Brewery here in MS. Me and many others thought it was their best bier, apparently ratebeer concurs! It's a truely great krystalweizen fermented at high temps with T-58 yeast. This'll be interesting at the very least. I'm gonna toss in a couple of whirlflock tablets also to help with the 'krystal' part of the equation ;)

Schlante,
Phillip

Yeah, at 20%, I'm surprised you had a problem...but rye can be a real PITA. My friend did a 100% rye mash once...that was a LOOOONNGGG day :)

Whirfloc is more for post-boil (cold break) than it is for the yeast in suspension after fermentation. I would suggest cold-crashing after fermentation. Some people use gelatin, but I haven't yet tried it.

Hope it goes well!
:mug:

Back