Quick Bottling Tip?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most brewers start out using con sugar for priming, but will change to DME or even gyle later. This explains why most of the beginner questions mention corn sugar for priming. But most of us are using DME or wort since this is known to leave less off-flavors then corn sugar. Since these flavors are usually not very strong (if detectable at all) you will be fine with using corn sugar.

There have been plenty "corn sugar vs. DME" debates ;)

Kai

DME takes a bit longer to ferment in the bottle. Also the mouthfeel is a bit richer I have heard. The brews that I bottled with DME will not be ready till next week, so I do not have a true personal testimony for it, but I am getting anxious to try it. Experimented with it to see the difference between corn sugar and DME.

I mostly use Extra Light DME for priming because I can wait 3-4 weeks before the batch gets carbonated.

I will use corn sugar in lighter brews, but if I've used 1 lb of wheat in the recipe I'll use a wheat DME for priming. It's just an experiment to improve head retention and creaminess on an otherwise thinner beer.

OK, it mostly depends on my mood...:D

I used it on my last batch, and I did notice a bit richer "mouthfeel" and it did wonders for the head retention. I didn't realize that I should attribute all that to the DME. Makes sense.

Back