Cold Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsonbrew

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 2 pass cold plate off of ebay. It is used and needs cleaned. I am not sure how to go about cleaning it other than running a cleaning solution through it via my kegging system and then running a sanitizing solution through it. When that is done maybe running clean water to rinse the sanitzing solution out of it. Is there anything else I can do to ensure that the inside tubes are clean and good to serve beer from? I am not familar with the process of cleaning a cold plate.

I vote for dunking it in a bucket of oxi clean overnight. Just make sure to rotate it while its dunked to remove all the air bubbles. Then do your inline rinsing and sanitation process.

Oxiclean will break up the grime. Need to do that before you sanitize. Can you blast some oxiclean through it?

I use oxiclean for all my cleaning of brew gear so I figured I would do the same. I don't have a pump so I was going to fill the sink with hot water and let it soak then put a hot oxiclean solution in a keg and run it through the cold plate. Rinse out the oxiclean and run sanitizer through it, rinse it out again and let it dry then sanitize it again before use. Does that sound reasonable?

Be careful with oxiclean and aluminum, it can remove the protective oxidation. There is a good chance your cold plate is aluminum and you don't want to remove the oxidation.

its aluminum with stainless steel coils I am assuming. I know the outside is aluminum for sure, so it there a cleaner that is specifically made for alluminum or one that wont ruin the cold plate?

soak and blast, soak and blast ! I brought one back to life that hadn't been used in15 years. I wonder if you could put it in the oven ?

How did the cleaning work out? What method did you use?

I just bought a 6-pass cold plate on ebay and was figuring I'd bake or boil the thing, then hook up some beer line to so that I can send PBW through the inside lines all at once. PBW and the aluminum block don't mix, right?

Related random question - Why do most of these things show 3/16" outlet barbs but 1/4" inlet barbs. Can I not just use 3/16" on both inlet and outlet, and use the regular 3/16" beer line for keg to cold plate and cold plate to faucet?

So "no" to soaking in Oxiclean? An in-law of my mine gave me like (4) cold plates and not sure what to do with them other than maybe build a jockey box. But they would like need to be cleaned out first.

Back