IPA Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizzard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need to blow through some hops, so a DIPA is my next brew. This is my first DIPA, FWH, and probably other acronyms too, so I wanted some opinions. What do you think of using simcoe as the FWH with all of the other citrusy additions? The grain bill feels all over the place - should I drop the C40? Up the rye? Should I cut some 2 row and throw in a pound of sugar? Opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

OG: 1.091 SG
FG: 1.021 SG
Expected ABV 9.4%
Expected IBU (using Rager): 90.9 IBU
US-05 yeast

14.00 lb 2-Row
3.00 lb Munich Malt
1.00 lb Flaked Rye
1.00 lb Caramel 40L
0.5 lb Carapils Malt

FWH: Simcoe, 35 g

1 oz of each at 15 min, 5 min, flameout, and dry hop
Centennial
Cascade
Columbus

Some simple sugars are a good idea, but runs a bit counter productive with the fact that you're including carapils. Carapils will increase the body/mouthfeel whereas simple sugar will thin it out.

I put 2# of dextrose in the DIPA I brew (which is going to round 2 NHC). 1# will do the trick if you like a bit more residual body on your beers. I keep crystal to 5% of the grist max.

I'd drop the rye and use more munich or maybe victory, or even just two row. I don't use much rye unless it's a rye focused beer.

And also, just my opinion...but with simcoe being scarce, do you really want to use it in a brew that you're just trying to blow through hops? I'd conserve it for a surefire recipe.

depends how much rye you want. as is, it'll be pretty subtle. personally, I'd ditch all the crystal for more rye and just mash a touch higher

And also, just my opinion...but with simcoe being scarce, do you really want to use it in a brew that you're just trying to blow through hops? I'd conserve it for a surefire recipe.

+1, or at least one where its more of a focus. love the rest of the hop schedule tho

Thanks guys, I'll switch the simcoe with centennial or maybe a smaller blend of all three, depending on how much I have left. I thought a touch of rye would be good, so I'll probably drop the C40 and add more rye as suggested. Since the rye will add some body I'll cut the carapils and throw in 1# of corn sugar. I'm planning to mash at 152. So something like this:

13.00 lb 2-Row
3.00 lb Munich Malt
2.00 lb Flaked Rye
1.00 lb Table Sugar

FWH: Centennial, 54 g

1 oz of each at 15 min, 5 min, flameout, and dry hop
Centennial
Cascade
Columbus

Looks good to me. Centennial, cascade and colombus do well together.

Back