so call me stupid!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zstewart123

Reaction score
So I went to the LHBS, a short 6 hr drive each way, and got my ingredients for several beers one of which is a Wit Beer and as usual, put the all the grains in the same bag for each recipe. Well, I wasn;t thinking when I did the Wit because I put the flaked wheat in with all the other grains. I didn't think about it untill I went to brew a few weeks ago. All of the flaked grain is intermingled with the other grains. Now my problem is can I crush the flaked wheat along with the rest of the grains or am I screwed and have to pick out all of the flakes?

I don't see how it could hurt anything, give it hell, man! :mug:

I'm not going to call you stupid, but damn man, that's dedication driving 6 hours both ways to a (not so) Local HBS. I mean, I know how great it is actually walking around and picking out your stuff, but man, shipping would HAVE to be cheaper than the gas used both ways... That must be some LHBS!

STUPID!!! You said.....

Anyway, just run it through your mill and brew as normal shouldn't really hurt much IMO, but others may disagree. As for driving six hours one way to get brewing supplies I have one thing to say, Frickin' Internet Dude! Just sayin'...Good luck with the brew.

Cheers

Naw, it's called get the hell out of the house for the day. I went with him. Was a great day. We have actually took the drive twice to Houston from Baton Rouge. It is nice to occasionally walk into a store and see all the stuff and handle it and pick exactly what you want. Plus, all the sacks grains we bought would of cost quite a bit more to ship than what I spent on gas. We have 2 shops around here and both are worthless. I do spend a ton on the Internet though.

I understand, sometimes its nice to be able to take a road trip with a buddy. Especially in the name of brewing. The things we do for the love of homebrew. What a great thing!

Cheers

For me, part of brewing is sharing with friends and having good experiences... bravo to you sir, sounds like a great trip....

Like surfbrewer said, you should be fine running it through the grainmill with your other grains.

Not sure what "a few sacks" equates to for you, but I
did something similar a little over a week ago. Going to
AG , I could see the costs of Shipping for UPS to be MORE
than driving.... That is- (5) 50 lb sacks of base grains,
and near (10) 5-10 lb "bags" of crystal varieties/specialty types.
As long as you come home with a truck full(like me), or bags tied on the
roof of your car....then work out the cost on paper Vs. online shopping.

UPS is designed and priced for packages, not bulk freight. For 250# you should be looking into LTL trucking. For example;

One pallet of collapsed boxes (150-200#) shipped across town (2hrs) via UPS ~= $125. Same shipment via LTL truck? $55-75.

I take a trip to my distant HBS or DHBS with my brewing buddy and we stock up on grain and equipment and it takes us an hour to get there. It's always fun and we have a great time. That is the only way we can buy grain at a decent price. Sometimes we come home and split bags of grain to get half bags of medium use grains that otherwise would cost us much more.

I drove around 6 hours with a friend to Michigan to return a bunch of empty cans and bottles. 10 cents instead of 5.

....we broke even. Lots of strange **** happened that day. The trip made for a hell of a story.

UPS is designed and priced for packages, not bulk freight. For 250# you should be looking into LTL trucking. For example;

One pallet of collapsed boxes (150-200#) shipped across town (2hrs) via UPS ~= $125. Same shipment via LTL truck? $55-75.

Name one online company that offers this type of shipping.
Every one I see at this time uses uPs and/or Fedex.
A 50# of 2 row from midwest costs 48, but shipping to Va
is $27. If there's an online service closer to me that has this
option of LTL, I'd like to know about it.

boy it would have been good to know you guys before ya'll went. I could have pitched in on some gas and gotten you to pick up some supplies for me too!

I commend you for your trip! I'm a small business owner myself, and I always appreciate when I see others help support the little guy. Cheers to you! :mug:

Gas wasn't that much. Steve is right, its a great way to get out of the house, away from the nagging wives, and be able to actually see the stuff up front. I am all about road trips. Besides had some really good Texas BBQ for lunch. Can't find **** for BBQ in Louisiana.

Name one online company that offers this type of shipping.
Every one I see at this time uses uPs and/or Fedex.
A 50# of 2 row from midwest costs 48, but shipping to Va
is $27. If there's an online service closer to me that has this
option of LTL, I'd like to know about it.

uline.com is one. Actually, I do business with several (non-HBS) companies that do LTL. Perhaps you should call them and ask.

Latest posts

Back