What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turns out a lager recipe I whipped up hit FG in 2 weeks. No diacetyl noticed while taking a quick sample, started to crash it. I think I might have a new "ready in X time" record. Will still cold condition a while since there's no room in the keezer anyways.

Thought about writing a new recipe for a brew that I may or may not brew in the next three months...:rockin:

Ordered some vanilla beans for 5 gallons of a 10 gallon batch of oatmeal stout I brewed about a month ago. Looking forward to this iteration of this beer.

Transferred my OuKing clone to kegs. Cleaned the secondary carboys & transfer equipment.
Also tapped my second batch of Grapefruit Wheat IPA.

Kegged 5 gallons of Cream of three crops.
Bottled, from keg using no stinkin' beer gun method, Punkin' ale that was kegged two weeks ago.
Checked SG of Ragin' Irish red and found it done. Began cold crashing and will keg in a couple of days.

Saturday was a beer day.

Brewed up 10 Gallons of a Rye Pale Ale
Kegged up 5 Gallons of a Homegrown Centennial Pale
Bottled 5.5 Gallons of Breakfast stout (Now I remember why I hate bottling so much)
Tasted a couple 750 bottles of delicious beer

Then smoked up a brisket and some ABT's. Was a good day.

Oh and had a helluva time figuring out what happened to Beersmith. I 'upgraded' to windows 10 and for some reason I lost most of the ingredients from the database (couldn't even find 2-row for some reason). I reinstalled, still couldnt find it. Then I tried to build a recipe and could not access the mash tab and for some reason was saying i was going to get an OG of 1.019. Took me 2 hours to figure out I had it set to be a Extract batch.

Brewed a peated Scottish ale yesterday. I wanted something really smoky like an Islay Scotch, but I don't think 6% peated malt was enough. At least I didn't smell it much during the mash.

Wrote a few more pages of my second Hb book. Trying to catch up with the part that was lost somehow. but I think it's looking better just the same...:mug:

Kegged my latest IPA with dry hops in the keg: 1 oz of Nugget, 1 of Simcoe and 1.3 Amarillo (to make up for the slightly lower AA% compared to the other two.). I made the same additions as hopstands - one at 200 and one at 170. I'm pretty excited for this one.

Thinking about doing a spontaneous fermented lambic tonight- allagash has their coolship fired up so the temps must be right for wild brett

Well y'all, I finally lost me patcinks. I posted on my Facebook page for any family members, extended or whatever, that may be hording an old ale recipe to come forward. Sitting on it, hoping to get rich quick ain't gonna happen if nobody knows you have it! At least build a fire under them to search these hoarders out. I've searched & searched genealogy sites for anything...nothing. They Bavarian German...everybody drank & brewed beer. Especially country types. If I could afford extra $$ per month, Ancestry.com could take me back to Eurpoe to search there. That'd be interesting! But I'm tired of beating my head against the keyboard, so I posted in hopes someone would speak up! I wanna brew some family history...:rockin::mug::ban:

Transferred 10g of Dirty Water Brown Ale to secondary. Took a gravity reading on Yoopers Stout. Drank a Founders Backwood's Bastard.

IMG_3443.jpg

Hellfire IIPA down to 1.014 today, but a lot of dissolved Co2 stirred up trub near the bottom? Had band-aid flavor today. But I think it's the trub? Dry hopped with remaining .8oz of 5 hops used in boil. Will bottle it next Saturday. I got a bad feeling though, that the flavor hops were off-gassed a bit from 10 days ago? Or the trub flavor covered it up? The dry hop should help the sensation a little.

Im drinking beer. Thinking about brewing but also thinking about a nap. Was up 3 hours before the sun to get the smoker going and brisket on.

I know the feelin'. I wake up a couple hours before dawn everyday. Daylight savings time change always messes me up. So I get on here, cig, coffee, snooooorrrfle. Worked on my next Hb book some more, dry hopped/peppered the Hellfire IIPA a lil bit ago. Down to 1.014 too, so that'll be 9.62%! :tank:

I live in an interesting area in northern bc canada that doesnt do time change. The sun doesnt come up untill almost 9am right now. I didnt bother with the nap and brewed 10 gallons of stuffed pig cream ale instead.

Union the stuffed pig is a cream ale fermented on top of 2 diced gala apples. My brewery is named after my kids nicknames. The muckin pig brewery and cider house. The brisket was awesome for a first timer.

Moved my Gingerbread Ale to secondary, cleaned two kegs that kicked & the serving lines & taps, cleaned two primary carboys & transfer siphon & hoses

Kegged Amarillo Pale. Washed some yeast. Acquired a case of mixed Bells brews from a good friend who drove it cross country.

Racked my "Birthday Porter" to secondary. It will sit until the end of February, when in will get bourbon soaked vanilla and oak, bottled 2 weeks later, and the first opened 6 weeks after that for my 40th birthday. It's only my 3rd beer, so here's hoping it's not awful!

Back