How does one determime "efficiency"??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyM

Reaction score
Hi all, just getting back into all grain after a 10 year break and am wondering how you determent the efficiency percentage of the mash?

Thanks,
Mikey.

Certain types of grains have a maximum amount of sugar they can contribute to a volume of water to make wort.

For example: Look at everybody else's posts in these threads! =)

Make sense?

EDIT: I am retarded.

Umm, I think JoePro's got the general idea but that math is a train wreck.

Most base malts give 36-37 points per pound. So, starting with 8 lbs of base malt you've got 296 points to work with.

296 / 5 gal = 59.2 or an ideal starting gravity of 1.059

If your actual starting gravity was say 1.049 for 5 gal, that means you got 49 points per pound per gallon.

49 / 59.2 = 82.8% efficiency.

Ah hah! So find (from the chart) your points per pound, depending on the grain/malt type and take the last 2 digits of the OG and divide by 59.2 and that gives your efficiency? Got it.

So when doing a 10-11 gal batch you wouldn't have to adjust any figures would you?

Thanks fellas!

Ah hah! So find (from the chart) your points per pound, depending on the grain/malt type and take the last 2 digits of the OG and divide by 59.2 and that gives your efficiency? Got it.

Thanks fellas!

Not completely...

potential PPG * lb of grain = total PPG

total PPG / final gallons of water = total potential OG

actual OG / total potential OG = efficiency.

Here's a good example from Palmer: http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-5.html

And, welcome back to brewing! :mug:

Thanks fellas!

No. The 59.2 number is an example.

Take your recipe and add up all the 100% efficiencies for each grain [SUM(your quantity * the last two digits of the points per pound)/batch size].

Then take your pre-boil gravity and divide the last two digits of that by the amount you calculated. That's your Mash efficiency.

Not completely...

potential PPG * lb of grain = total PPG

total PPG / final gallons of water = total potential OG

total potential OG / actual OG = efficiency.

And, welcome back to brewing! :mug:

*actual OG / total potential OG = efficiency

I just record my ingredients, volumes, and gravities into BeerAlchemy and let it do the computation.

This is what brewing software is there for!

Back