Beer tax proposed to curtail teen drinking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eves: If you use a credit card, you have to put your billing address. If you live in NY, iTunes (or other such services) will add the tax.

Seems like gift cards might be a way of by-passing that. Do they take pay pal? Just seems like there would be ways to avoid the tax if one chose to. Plus there is that whole thing about how online merchants are generally not too keen on the notion of paying to states. Thats why sales tax is only applied to online purchases when the store has a physical presence in the state.

I hate NY :(

Property, school, income and other taxes are high enough already. Many of the upstate communities are shrinking in business and people. Raising taxes and increasing spending is just another stick in the eye and means to forcing more folks out of the state. If it weren't for family in the area, I'd be moving elsewhere.

Another good reason to home brew. Lets say they do pass this stupid law and as an average drinker you consume 1 12oz bottle of beer per day. Thats 30 bottles a month or an increase of $7.50/month. If you drink 2 beers per day thats $15/month more that you are spending. As long as the beer kit prices dont go up I will be ok.

The great thing (at least in my state) is that the beer kits aren't taxed at all! They are considered a food item. :)

this is all based on the assumption that the financial sector will lose another 250k in jobs in NY the average wage for a broker in the exchange is 350k so they do pay a ****load of tax. And the ripple effect will be much greater a lot of restaurants are already laying off people and starting to shut down around wall street.

Now if and when the economy does turn around think any of this will be repealed ? Just like the 5 cent bottle return now I believe every community has to recycle with their garbage pickup. And now I still need to return the beer and soda bottles to the store. Its all on the hope that the bottle will be tossed never returned and then the state gets to keep the 5 cents.

this is all based on the assumption that the financial sector will lose another 250k in jobs in NY the average wage for a broker in the exchange is 350k so they do pay a ****load of tax. And the ripple effect will be much greater a lot of restaurants are already laying off people and starting to shut down around wall street..

I guess trickle down economics does work, but they never admit it.

Now if and when the economy does turn around think any of this will be repealed ?

No, and that's the problem. They get their money, find things to spend it on, then when they have the opportunity for more money, they find more things to spend it on (and the people / entities receiving the money are just a guilty, they won't say, "we don't need that aid anymore"). Taxes are an upward spiral.

What's more, reducing state aid to schools only means that your local school and property taxes will be going up to compensate. :mad:

Move along, nothing to see here. Come on people, it's got to get worse before it gets better. Politicians of vaious types have been stealing money from citizens forEVER...and the only time it ever stops is when the people rise up and literally take their money back. By force and usually through military action. Short of that, I don't see how it will change. The few politicians who have their heads on straight about the rights of people and limitations of government are often regarded by the media (and even most citizens) as kooks, weirdos, and whackos. Like Dr. Paul and Kucinich...their rhetoric makes sense, but nobody wants to hear it.

Don't worry, this will all come to pass. It's the natural swing of the pendulum, going back to favor an opressive form of government. When we decide to fight with everything we've got, it will change. Until that movement mobilizes...I'll be brewing beer! :mug:

Sheesh, is it Friday yet? :D

Back