Turkey Fryer as Boil Pot BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davygoat2

Reaction score
I've been reading through this forum and a Biab forum as well but still cant seem to settle a question.
Using a Turkey Fryer as a electric brew kettle allows entry level and is accepted. I have seen articles related to oils and head formation and retention loss.
The Aluminum pot and basket seem to be slightly porous.For a example of my quandary I used to have a 40 cup coffee pot that I only used for my winter spiced rum recipe. the premis being the coffe will always taste like the spiced rum. Ididn't see a problem but I accepted it with out question.
I recently ran some timed heating test for time to 170 and time to boil. afterwards i found there was still some oils that leeched out of the assembly even after a "good" cleaning. I use liquid shortening for turkey and Potatoes, no seafood. to compound my confusion "Brewdogs" did a clambake Boston Ale last episode i watched.
I am uncertain if running another boil, perhaps with oxyclean or dishwasher pellets would be acceptable to remove the oil or is my whole worry moot
What say Ye?
Thanks!!

And once you have cleaned it, you will have stripped off the oxide layer. Boil some water for an hour to build it back up before you brew. Once it's clean, you may want to dedicate it to brewing so you do not need to repeat the process.

Thanks all! i guess i will see after the water boil how much I will need to repeat. Wasn't sure about boiling the oxyclean and the aluminum.

Actually, I wouldn't use oxiclean on aluminum. It won't ruin the pot, but it will become very heavily oxidized and black. I would just scrub it well with a degreasing product to remove the oil, then rinse thoroughly, then boil water. It should work.

Latest posts

Back