Need Help Sealing the Deal on the Kettle Conversion!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaoxad

Reaction score
I recently built a counter flow wort chiller and realized that it would be easiest to use if I converted my 36 qt Bayou Classic brew kettle and added a bulkhead and ball valve.
Bayou Classic 36 qt

I know that I will not be using this kettle forever and will eventually graduate to a keggle setup, so I would like to keep the cost within reason.

Can you guys help me put the finishing touches on my shopping list?

These are the few things I KNOW I need:
Bargainfittings.com

1 X Weldless Bulkhead kit
1 X 1/2" MNPT x 1/2” Hose outlet valve

As for the “Inside the vessel fitting”, I’m lost…
This is where I need your help HBT!!

Do I need to order any separate hardware or is the "standard inside coupling" that comes with the bulkhead kit sufficient?
Should I add a stainless “side pick-up” to my order?
A bazooka tube or some sort of filter for hops that may sneak into the chiller?
Do these just screw into the inside of the bulkhead with a little tephlon tape or are their any other special fittings I need?
An excellent thermometer option at a good price?
What works best?

Let me know what else I NEED to order and I will forever be in your debt!!

THANK YOU HBT!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

The standard inside fitting for the weldless kits is a 1/2" NPT coupling. It can be used to hook up a stainless steel or copper side pickup.

You can also change the inside fitting option to a 90 degree elbow and use a 1/2 x 1/2 hose barb screwed into the 90 to use as a pickup with your flat bottom kettle.

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=barb&category_id=0&product_id=61
ssbarb-250x250.jpg

You can also make your own fitting on the cheap from HD.

I made one out of spare copper I had lying around, (1/2inch) and spent less that a dollar at HD buying a male threaded fitting (http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Elkhart-30310-1-2-Inch-Copper-Male-Adapter-6141741.html) and a 90 degree elbo (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...Id=10051&catalogId=10053&superSkuId=202904883 - you can buy just one). Sweat the joints and you are good to go. it looks like the "center" copper one in the second picture posted above. It just uses the soldered male threaded to straight pipe to 90 elbo to straight pipe to accomplish the same thing.

You can also change the inside fitting option to a 90 degree elbow and use a 1/2 x 1/2 hose barb screwed into the 90 to use as a pickup with your flat bottom kettle.

http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=barb&category_id=0&product_id=61
ssbarb-250x250.jpg

Would this be a good solution to keep the "cold break" out of my counterflow chiller and keeping it from plugging up or would I then attach some sort of wire mesh or hop filter to this?

Cold break will form in the chiller when you use the counter flow chiller.

Hot break can be filtered using a copper or stainless steel scrubby on the pickup if you use some whole hops in the boil.

Filters tend not to do as well as the break material will clog them up fairly quickly in a boil kettle.

Cold break will form in the chiller when you use the counter flow chiller.

Hot break can be filtered using a copper or stainless steel scrubby on the pickup if you use some whole hops in the boil.

Filters tend not to do as well as the break material will clog them up fairly quickly in a boil kettle.

Off topic but was wondering if you could help me.

I bought one of your 3 piece stainless ball valve set ups - the new one. I really like and and have no leaks, but I do get some spinning when I put the hose in the ball valve. I don't want to overtighten and damage the gasket - is there a trick to getting the valve to not spin?

Back