Texas hops cuttings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
Is anyone in DFW growing hops? I would like some cuttings so that I can try starting them in pots indoors under grow lights. That way I can let them grow all winter and give them a head start for next year. I can't find any Rhizomes this time of year but if anyone in the Dallas/Plano area has cops and would be nice enough to sell/give me some clippings, it would be appreciated.

Check ebay. A seller there (also a poster here on HBT) has a store with a bunch of varieties available now. I posted a link about it yesterday because I had the same idea of buying some now.

The downside is that it's about $20 with shipping for one of the crows from eBay. I see the value but that will buy like 4-5 plants worth of rhizomes or 4-5 batches worth of finished hops. I might buy just one of the crowns to start now and then buy rhizomes next spring.

I bought a centennial crown and cascade crown from ebay. They are planted in small pots now. I'm trying to decide whether to buy a half-barrel to plant them in or just till up the ground, mix in some garden soil and plant them in the ground. I picked out about the sunniest spot I could, but it's still not full sun.

Update

I purchased a Cascade complete hops crown ($9) from that ebay place, and I bought a Centennial "hops starter" as well ($6). The crown has taken off and now has bines like a foot long, but the starter has done nothing and I think it's dead.

About the sunniest place I have to plant is along the north side of my house, where the hops plants should be in the sun from the morning until the late afternoon. Is this an OK place? I heard it was best to plant somewhere south facing but I literally have nowhere that faces south except that also is under shade trees.

Latest posts

Back