Graham cracker extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve50

Reaction score
Going to be brewing a pumpkin ale and have heard that adding graham cracker extract gives the ale a nice touch. Anyone ever use it? If so how much added to a 5 gal batch?
Steve:mug:

Never heard of it. Personally I would use some biscuit or victory malt for that particular malty profile. Graham crackers usually have cinnamon and honey flavors to them. I would use the real thing in appropriate quantities.

I would highly advise against using the Capella (sp?) extract. It left a metallic taste in my pumpkin ale last year. I have heard of mashing the graham cracker though, I can't report on its effectiveness. I didn't use graham cracker this year, but if I feel it needs it, I'll probably just rim the glass with crushed grahams.

There is a lot of good feedback/discussion in the pumking clone thread about the graham cracker extract. I put two drops in a 5.5 gallon batch and never tasted anything significant. Would not use again with folks reporting a bad metallic after taste. IMO, I see what you can come up with going the old natural route.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/southern-tier-pumking-clone-191381/

Back