That's Right, I'm in the Club Now - Best Start Showing Me Some Respect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take the online entrance exam first, pass it, and then contact the exam organizers. Tell them you've already passed the entrance exam. They will tell you that their test is full, and you ask to be put on a waiting list.

Begin Rant:

Many exam organizers are not approaching this correctly. For example, I just took an exam last weekend in Detroit, the organizer contacted me 10 days ago telling me that I had a spot if I wanted it. I had been way down on the waiting list, so that means many who he had given reserved spots to didn't pass the entrance or weren't serious. The end result is I had very little notice but it just happened that I could travel to Detroit that weekend (a five hour drive).

Also, the test was only 3/4s full - 9 out of a maximum of 12. I know, first-hand, how challenging it is for people to get into the tests because of the way the tests are being organized and here's a test that wasn't even close to being full. :confused:

Another test organizer I know is doing it right. She has a class and encourages class members to take the exam. But, she will not even write your name down until you pass the entrance exam. Then she methodically goes through the list by category - those who take her class get first shot, current bcjp judges get second shot, others from her local area get third shot, etc.

In addition, she requires you to pay in advance. The upshot is its organized, everyone knows months ahead of time that they will be taking the exam, that they have an assured spot, and she has very few people pull out at the last minute.

End Rant.

That test was proceeded by a class as well (I supplied some of your flawed beers for it.. haha... sorry) I don't believe the issues were from the online exam. I think they were more likely just from people backing out. I do agree taking money up front might reduce this. The sign up lists for his exam fills up as soon as he starts taking names. So most people should know way in advance the date/time etc... But then they are cancelling. I do agree with your suggestions though of requiring payment first. I would also give all those that sign up a deadline on the online exam (maybe 2 months ahead of the exam date). He gives priority on the sign up sheet to those that take his class... so they always get first dibbs...but yeah I would do it a little differently.

Ok passed my online test this week! (first attempt too) Much harder than I anticipated.

*Possibly* have a seat in the December tasting test up in Greely.

Excited!

20131031_200852_zps346c3860.jpg

I'm in. The exam was tougher than i thought. The 4 month wait was the worst part.

bjcp_pin__2_.jpg

Proof of BJCP's declining standards - they promoted me to National rank.

My most recent blog post about it:
Back in October, I sat for the third BJCP exam, a written essay exam. Recently, I learned that, averaged with my score on the second BJCP exam, a tasting exam, my total scores were high enough to earn promotion to National rank. As a National judge, I will be able to participate in many ways I haven't previously - administer, proctor and grade exams, for example. Most importantly, competitions are always struggling to get enough top ranked judges and it will be a good thing for those competitions to have another active National judge available.

I recently read that BJCP has credentialed approximately 5,700 judges in total and that only about 15% of those credentialed judges are ranked National or higher. Back when I took the written exam, I wrote up a blog post with the exam questions - you can read it here

Congrats!

Did you take the mead certification exam yet?

I haven't received my results yet, but I think I did far better on the mead exam than the beer exam, where I scored a 76. I really need to get some judging points in so I can at least get promoted to Certified. Not sure I'll bother going for National at this point though...

Congrats!

Did you take the mead certification exam yet?

I haven't received my results yet, but I think I did far better on the mead exam than the beer exam, where I scored a 76. I really need to get some judging points in so I can at least get promoted to Certified. Not sure I'll bother going for National at this point though...

Thanks. I've judged in 20 competitions in the past two years and the practice really helps.

I've not taken the mead certification. I was thinking of doing that sometime in the next year. Do you know Scot and Karen Schaar? They are Midwestern meadmakers but I think they're known nationally somewhat, and Scot administers the mead exam a couple of times a year.

Taking my mead tasting exam in a few months...add the endorsement.

I like being Certified. It's like "ok you passed the test" but also "no we don't need you to do any extra ****" while judging. Perfect to me

Congrats, Pappers! I'm taking my tasting exam this weekend.

So I think the exam went well. Unfortunately, I don't expect to get the results for several months. I even picked up an off-flavour the proctors missed (skunking). But I screwed up the Belgian Trippel evaluation (I was expecting it to be more like a Belgian Dark Strong).

So I think the exam went well. Unfortunately, I don't expect to get the results for several months. I even picked up an off-flavour the proctors missed (skunking). But I screwed up the Belgian Trippel evaluation (I was expecting it to be more like a Belgian Dark Strong).

As long as you described what you were perceiving, you'll be fine. The comparisions to the style and the points are only a small part of the exam's score.

For the skunked beer, did the exam administrator tell you that s/he had skunked the beer? The administrator for my tasting exam did that - he bought Pilsner Urquel in green bottles and left them out in the sun :tank:

For the skunked beer, did the exam administrator tell you that s/he had skunked the beer?

Yes, afterwards (obviously). During the exam, of course, literally all we were told was, "Here's your glass of beer, judge this as a Belgian Trippel." No indication of whether it was a commercial example, homebrew, potential flaws, anything.

The skunked beer, it turned out, was some of his homebrew that he had bottled from his kegerator into a 1/2 gallon jug and exposed to sunlight. I even actually picked up some oxidation (likely from unintentional aeration while filling the jug from his tap), so maybe I'll get a bonus point for that. ;)

Latest posts

Back