500ml bottles co2 headspace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dorian345

Reaction score
Hello! just cleaned my bottles and sanitized them, just wondering how much headspace should be left in my PET 500ml bottles?

Thanks!

Hopefully you have a bottling wand cause they will leave just the right amount of head space otherwise, usually about 2-2.5cm should do it.

You could pour 500 ml of liquid into the bottle and see how much headspace is left and that should give you the line to shoot for! I tried that with 12oz bottles and they have a built in headspace measurement.

Using a bottling wand will give you the right head space every time due to volume displacement. It fills the bottle slowly from the bottom up & prevents splashing,etc that can lead to oxidation. Just fill to the top,pull up on wand to close the lil pin valve on the end. remove wand...perfect head space.

i just have a tube that im putting in the spigot, no bottling wand, but there is a groove on the plastic bottle that i measured seems to be just about 2 cm's

Back