Brandon O Graff yeast experiment recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porky_pine

Reaction score
I want to brew a triple batch of Graff soon and try to mix it evenly into three carboys with four gallons of apple juice in each carboy, each carboy with a different yeast.

I did a double batch last time and split it in two carboys, one with Nottingham and one with Safale 05. I liked the Nottingham better, for some reason the 05 came out a little butterscotch flavored, not sure if that was the yeast's fault. It's still really drinkable though, (to me). I used 1 oz. of fuggles hops and split the wort 50/50 last time. I primed them bot with 3/4 cup of honey and really like the carbonation. Any different yeast/hop recommendations/advice are appreciated. Thanks!

If you are going for dry yeast you could try a couple of the fermented safbrew yeasts (wheat or belgians) and compare them to a batch of your gold standard Nottingham.

I want to brew a triple batch of Graff soon and try to mix it evenly into three carboys with four gallons of apple juice in each carboy, each carboy with a different yeast.

I did a double batch last time and split it in two carboys, one with Nottingham and one with Safale 05. I liked the Nottingham better, for some reason the 05 came out a little butterscotch flavored, not sure if that was the yeast's fault. It's still really drinkable though, (to me). I used 1 oz. of fuggles hops and split the wort 50/50 last time. I primed them bot with 3/4 cup of honey and really like the carbonation. Any different yeast/hop recommendations/advice are appreciated. Thanks!

If you haven't already read it, this might give you some useful info as far as yeast goes:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/results-juice-yeast-sugar-experiments-83060/

As to hops, I've used Goldings, Perle & Fuggles; by far, my fav is Goldings (US Goldings). I have to double the amount to get close to the 8.0% AA, but Goldings are sooooo smooth & tasty, it's almost impossible to over bitter & to my taste, they're the perfect hop to pair up with the apple & malt.

Another thing I like to do is to add caraway seed. It goes with apple almost like butter goes with bread. I've been experimenting with different malts & amounts too. My last batch (still in primary) had 2lbs honey malt, 2 lbs light LME & I'll split it into two 3 gallon carbouys when I rack to secondary; one of which will get a 1/4oz of caraway seed in a sort of "teabag". I also used a combo of Perle & Goldings, and increased the boil time to add a few more IBU's to counter the added sweetness from the honey malt.

I've also added raisins, extra FAJC & FWGJC, light LME, amber LME, dark LME, I've used munich, caramunich, brown, 2 row, 6 row, acidulated, crystal 60, crystal 120, Special roast & Special B malts. some were tastier than others, but they were all tasty. Graff is tough to screw up.
Regards, GF.

Back