Help with new Bayou Classic SP10 - Not burning very hot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgkelley

Reaction score
Hi all - Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on this.
We've been brewing for about a year now, extract kits on the stove. We just purchased our first propane burner to speed things up. According to most reviews of the Bayou Classic SP10, it only takes about 10 minutes to boil 5 gallons of beer. Some people also said the sound of the propane and fire is pretty loud.

We spent a good half hour and only raised the temperature about 30 degrees.

The flame was there - it was mostly blue - but it was quiet, and it just didn't seem to be putting out the heat everyone else has experienced. All valves were turned to open as far as they would go, and we experimented for a while to see if any other turning would help the problem - no luck.

Any suggestions? Is the problem the propane tank (it was new)? Is it the SP10? Should I try to return it and get a new one?

On a possibly related note, the kit was missing the cover that allows you to control the airflow / oxygen into the flame. We constructed one with a pasta lid and it seems to be doing the job that the regular lid would, as we can control the airflow - so I don't think that's the issue. See image attached.

Your comments are appreciated!

IMG_20110402_142545.jpg

Seems like there are two potential issues:

Either it's gas flow or air flow. You might try punching some more holes in the pasta lid. Maybe try and mimic the shape of the original part. If that isn't the issue, then there's a chance there is something wrong with the regulator.

I use the SP10 and love it. It does go through propane pretty quick. When it's on full O2 and full gas this thing should be LOUD. Typically boils 5 gallons in 15 mins or less.

It seems like it's probably the regulator. Even if it were the air flow thingy, it shouldn't make that kind of a difference if the flame looks right. I also have an SP10 and it rocks. I will say that mine came fully assembled. Can't remember exactly where I bought it from, but it was one of the online sellers that come up high on a google search.

It seems like it's probably the regulator. Even if it were the air flow thingy, it shouldn't make that kind of a difference if the flame looks right. I also have an SP10 and it rocks. I will say that mine came fully assembled. Can't remember exactly where I bought it from, but it was one of the online sellers that come up high on a google search.

It must vary a bit. I think I got mine on Amazon. It had all the parts, but the O2 regulator and the screw to attach it was just floating around inside the box. Not contained in a plastic bag or anything.

Try and return it and get a new one. That's my recomendation. I got one similar and yea, it had 12 gallons boiling in 15 min easy. See if you can get a new one. Good luck.

I have three of these burners and have the same problem as you do. I find I constantly have to change the angle of the propane tank every 20-30 min to get the proper flame intensity. Sometimes the tank is completely upside down, just be careful often when you change angles you will get a huge flame.
This is starting to piss me off I think its the regulators but could just be the burner itself since they all have different regulators yet the same burner.....I have no idea if anyone has a solution please let us know thanks.

Did you turn the valves on in the correct order? I messed it up on my SQ-14 the first time I tried it out. You have to fully open the propane tank valve first, then open the regulator slightly. Get it lit, then start cranking open the regulator, and it should come up just fine. Also, the regulator is a little counter-intuitive. Turning it to the right opens it and left closes it, which is the opposite of what you'd think. Hope this helps!

Thanks I hadn't thought of that. However 2 of the 3 burners dont have regulator valves so still stumped.

Back