any good ways to keep fermenter cool?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
i am new to brewing and am planning a wheat beer which needs to be held around 65-76 degrees F. I live in an apartment and do not have access to a fridge at this temp and cannot get my air conditioning down that low (old apt). Is there any tricks to keeping it at this temp? My apartment will stay in the 70s with my air conditioner so it wont be a sig. drop down to 65. One thing i read was putting the class carboy in a large keg tub with water and place in frozen bottles of water. will this work? Any other ideas besides dropping $100 for a portable air conditioner? Remember i am a poor college student =0(

THANKS!

i am new to brewing and am planning a wheat beer which needs to be held around 65-76 degrees F. I live in an apartment and do not have access to a fridge at this temp and cannot get my air conditioning down that low (old apt). Is there any tricks to keeping it at this temp? My apartment will stay in the 70s with my air conditioner so it wont be a sig. drop down to 65. One thing i read was butting it in a large keg tub with water and place in frozen bottles of water. will this work? Any other ideas besides dropping $100 for a portable air conditioner? Remember i am a poor college student =0(

THANKS!

Place the fermentation vessel in a tub of water then cover with it with a T-shirt. Then put a fan near it. The shirt will wick the water and the fan will aide in evaporation thereby cooling your fermentor. This will cool it about five degrees below whatever your room temp is. :mug:

A wet towel wrapped around your fermenter should do the trick for those temps. If you need more cooling you can add a fan, or put the fermenter in a water bath, with ice if necessary.

Happy fermentation!

My solution is linked in my sig. I have two of them now. The fan will come out if ambient gets too warm, right now I have that room at a nice 68*F since it's right next to the A/C so I don't need the fan, just the water bath. 10 gallons of Irish Red gettin' happy at 66*F.

A large cooler will be a bit more efficient than a keg tub. Either will work fine, but a cooler will use less ice. I don't bother w/ the T'shirt / fan for evaporative cooling. I just toss in a large pitcher full of ice cubes once or twice daily depending on the temp.

I just put a wet tshirt on my carboy and then put a sleeve of it in a pitcher of water. It has kept the fermenter at a solid 64-66 degrees when the ambient room temperature is 75. Good luck and have fun.

i rerouted some cool air into the closet as well as built a special foam cooler enclosure with water surrounding the carboy and 2 ice packs that get placed in the water every half day. seems to hold a temp at 56 (new ice packs) -58 (thawed ice packs)

Back