ever had a homeless person spit your beer out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATL

Reaction score
medium time lurker, first time poster (not new to forums at all)

I've made a few extract batches from recipes, however last month decided to make my own recipe for honey/ginger beer. tonight I bottled it... and wow is it bad. I drank everything that was left in the bottom of the bottling bucket and the tube for my hydrometer, so I suppose it isn't undrinkable. perhaps with a little carbonation and age it will improve?

ah oh well, I just thought I would finally say hello to the HBT.com people that have helped me so much.

and to the person who recommended using the dishwasher door to bottle ( I can't remember what thread this suggestion was in)... I'd send you a beer, but I think you would prefer I wait till the next batch I brew (I'll be following a recipe, I promise)

WELCOME! Glad to have you as part of the community. Feel free to start a thread to ask any questions. We're here to help.

I've made a few extract batches from recipes, however last month decided to make my own recipe for honey/ginger beer. tonight I bottled it... and wow is it bad. I drank everything that was left in the bottom of the bottling bucket and the tube for my hydrometer, so I suppose it isn't undrinkable. perhaps with a little carbonation and age it will improve?

I jacked with one of Jamil's receipes and really hosed it up. It's not like I botched the batch with poor execution or substandard sanitation, I just made a crappy recipe. I keep it around to see if it changes over time, but I will likely try to pawn it off on hobos.

Welcome to HBT! Your beer isn't bad it's just misunderstood. :D
Actually, you can't really call a beer bad until its aged a bit. Even great beers can start out being so so.
Yooper gets the credit on the dishwater door advice so you owe her a beer.

Sorry, but Yooper has other commitments and is unable to attend the forums today, so I will be accepting the beer on her behalf.
Bottle it and give it time, by the way. I have had a couple of brews that SUCKED for the first couple of weeks. I mean like leave-a-crummy-taste-in-your-mouth bad! But after 2 or 3 extra weeks conditioning in the bottle made them quite good beers. Award winners, probably not, but very enjoyable considering their beginnings.
Be patient and give it some time.

I don't know about the ginger, but I age my honey beers a couple of months before even thinking about tasting them.

+1 on this. I made a summer ale with orange blossom honey. It was OK in August but is really fantastic now. Note to self: brew it in March next time.

Let it sit. Bet you'll have a different opinion in a couple months.

As everyone has suggested I plan to let it age a while before I declare it officially terrible, and even if it does end up really bad perhaps I could serve it to already drunk friends :drunk:

Yooper gets the credit on the dishwater door advice so you owe her a beer.
I'll keep that in mind next time I've got something that tastes good

Back