bottling timeline

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lcast21

Reaction score
First time poster but I have def been lurking for a cpl months now.. I am jus wondering how long y'all let the bottles sit to carbonate? This batch has been sitting for a little over 3 weeks and it still has this gasy taste to it.

About 3 weeks is where things begin to come together, though for some beers it can be longer. You will also notice as time goes on the beer can get better too.

What was the recipe like?

It was jus a basic american cream ale. I fig it would of been super fast bottling.. but it def still has that distinct taste like its still carbinating. Do some sugars take longer than others?

Some sugars definitely take longer than others. My general rule of thumb is to bottle it, wait at least 3 weeks at about 70 deg. and then put 1 bottle in the refrigerator for 4 or 5 days before sampling. I may get some flavors that aren't matured yet, but seem to get good carbonation.

Yess.. I am def getting good carbination. Def needs a little longer for the flavors. What is usually the shelf life for these home brews?

It's not so much a question of shelf life. But realizing that conditioning takes about 2 weeks longer,on average,than carbonating. but this also depends on how dark the beer is,& the gravity.

There really isn't a shelf life. They will all change with time depending on the recipe. Some recipes will change better, some will change worse. It's not uncommon to see a great 5+ year old homebrew.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And just because a beer is carbed doesn't mean it still doesn't taste like a$$ and need more time for the off flavors to condition out. You have green beer.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

I've carbed hundreds of gallons of beer, and never had a beer that wasn't carbed, or under carbed or anything of the sort (Except for a batch where I accidently mixed up lactose or Maltodextrine for priming sugar). Some took awhile, (as I said up to six months) but they ALL eventually carbed.

I am for sure going to give it more time. I feel like it has carbed well jus still some off flavors.

And is 70 degrees the temp it needs to be? I've been right around a constant 67 68 degrees.

Def give them another week or two. The lower temp will take a bit longer for them to condition. Conditioning always takes longer than carbonating.

2 degrees realistically won't do much. Just be sure to refrigerate about 2 days or more before sampling. And if the flavors don't meld well yet, give it another week or 2. I had a newcastle clone that tasted kinda funky after 2 weeks. 4 weeks in it mellowed and really tasted like newcastle.

Time seems to conquer all in home brewing. Patience is hard with our beer, but it is needed sadly.

You'd be surprised how much a constant 67F can slow things down. Just getting down there over night isn't much,but all the time can be. I have problems like that in the winter.

Latest posts

Back