Is this culture okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marqoid

Reaction score
This was supposed to be a culture from the dregs of a beatification batch 6.
It was a basic low gravity wort from DME with the dregs from a single bottle pitched ~6 weeks ago into a 1 quart mason jar. Initially it looked fine, but it has developed a green mold.
Will the mold be taken care of by acid or do I need to trash it?
yoEjDgr.png

You have to get rid of that.

You didn't describe your process, but when stepping up bottle dregs, you use small volumes to start, then increase (usually by a factor of 10) until you have the proper pitching amount. For example, bottle dregs would go into 10ml of low gravity wort, then after a day or two, the culture would be stepped up to 100ml of wort, then a liter. By putting very low numbers of cells of interest (yeast or bacteria) into a large volume of wort, you increase your chances that a contaminating organism will outgrow your cells.

Dregs from one bottle into a quart of wort for 6 weeks is a recipe for contamination, sorry to say.

You have to get rid of that.

You didn't describe your process, but when stepping up bottle dregs, you use small volumes to start, then increase (usually by a factor of 10) until you have the proper pitching amount. For example, bottle dregs would go into 10ml of low gravity wort, then after a day or two, the culture would be stepped up to 100ml of wort, then a liter. By putting very low numbers of cells of interest (yeast or bacteria) into a large volume of wort, you increase your chances that a contaminating organism will outgrow your cells.

Dregs from one bottle into a quart of wort for 6 weeks is a recipe for contamination, sorry to say.

Thanks, that's what I thought. This was a little impromptu, I wasn't planning on using these dregs to start with.
In the past I have successfully fermented a full 5 gallon batch by pitching dregs from 2 bottles, I guess I got lucky.

you pitched the dregs of 2 bottles, only?!? no other yeast to help out? that seems ridiculously low. you must have great sanitation! :mug:
I like to think so
1 bottle of Petrus aged brown and 1 bottle motherfunker.
The beer came out great. Fermentation took off within 24 hours and even blew off my carboy.

Back