Specific gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Better" or "not better" aren't really terms you can apply to something like this. It just means you got slightly higher attenuation than was predicted. There are dozens of hard-to-control (or predict) variables that could contribute to this. When we design recipes and kits, we calculate the expected final gravity based on the published malt analysis and the yeast manufacturer's published average attenuation. The malt analysis will have a variation of +/-n%, and the yeast attenuation is only an average. So even under the most carefully controlled conditions some variation is to be expected from time to time in the homebrew setting.

Your 1.006 beer will be a little drier than the 1.008. Neither a good nor bad thing by itself. It's still beer. How does it taste? If it tastes good, it is good!

"Better" or "not better" aren't really terms you can apply to something like this. It just means you got slightly higher attenuation than was predicted. There are dozens of hard-to-control (or predict) variables that could contribute to this. When we design recipes and kits, we calculate the expected final gravity based on the published malt analysis and the yeast manufacturer's published average attenuation. The malt analysis will have a variation of +/-n%, and the yeast attenuation is only an average. So even under the most carefully controlled conditions some variation is to be expected from time to time in the homebrew setting.

Your 1.006 beer will be a little drier than the 1.008. Neither a good nor bad thing by itself. It's still beer. How does it taste? If it tastes good, it is good!

:off:@CPT Damage, holy crap I love your avatar pic! I geeked out like mad when I saw it just now!:off:

Back