Prepping for Winter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone in the warmer climates grow them year round? I have some in a greenhouse and I think the temp in the greenhouse could support them yearround - but will it work?

-OCD

The bines die back after the harvest, so no. However, having them in a greenhouse will give you an early start in the Spring. I'm seriously considering tenting mine next year. If that doesn't work, I'm ripping them out.

Of course, Murphy says if I try to kill them, they'll thrive.

Great, I was just thinking if i should cut the vines or leave them. Thanks!

Now I was also wondering if i should mulch my hop planters for the winter?? I live in NY so it gets cold and snowy up here. Thanks!

Picture for fun
hoprig.jpg

i wait till all the leaves have fallen off mine before i cut them down, just to ensure that all of the energy stored in the bines has been sucked back to the roots for a healthier plant next year. but it would probably be fine to cut them down since they're so yellow, most people cut them down when they harvest.

mulch never hurts, it will provide some nice organic nutrients for next years crop if you put some on now.

i still have one plant (my biggest one) that is still incredibly green when all my others have completely died back and the leaves blown away in the wind. weird.

how cold does it get during the winter in SC? if you guys get snow or any sort of heavy frost, it would probably be better to get something heavier like a bark mulch, but if it doesn't get that cold, straw would be fine.

What about in containers? I have mine in big 25 gallon containers and I know the entire thing is going to freeze here (Ohio) in the winter. Can I get away with just dressing the tops with compost occasionally for nutrients or should I pull them in the garage. I would rather not have to pull them in unless I have to.

What about in containers? I have mine in big 25 gallon containers and I know the entire thing is going to freeze here (Ohio) in the winter. Can I get away with just dressing the tops with compost occasionally for nutrients or should I pull them in the garage. I would rather not have to pull them in unless I have to.

I would think they're at risk. I know I've lost other plants over winter in containers that would have had no problems if in the ground. If the garage is cool/cold I would think that's a better option - but I'm definitely not an expert.

Has anyone tried re-planting all of the bines that are cut down after harvest before winter hits and when they are still alive? Maybe leaving some energy and nutrients in them for the possible emergence of a new plant the next spring?

Do they need fertilizer periodically through the winter?

From what I have read you do need to do something with them. They have used a lot of energy in their production of bines, roots and cones. I put compost over mine last year and plan to do the same on my hops this winter.

Edit: this is my experience with container hops at least.

I cut them down to the ground. It's a rhizome, so all the energy for the next year is in the root.

What he said is the perfect answer to the OP.

Of course, Murphy says if I try to kill them, they'll thrive.
David I've been enjoying your post and input since I joined, how could I not with almost 20K posts ;). This may be your best comment ever though!

Now I was also wondering if i should mulch my hop planters for the winter?? I live in NY so it gets cold and snowy up here. Thanks!

I would move the planter inside in NY! If the rhizome freezes solid it is a gonner! Now I don't know this for sure, but it is true for most rhizome based plants, others may have a more informed answer which I'd love to hear.

mulch never hurts, it will provide some nice organic nutrients for next years crop if you put some on now.

Sorry but I'll yell this, the best compost/organic matter/winter protection EVER, is LEAVES!!!!!! Especially if you can grab some from an old pile which are starting to decompose. Pile those suckers on and it'll kick start your plants in the spring! If putting fresh leaves on consider laying black plastic or some old shingles on top of the piles to hold them in place. The plastic/shingles heates up fast in the sun and helps keep the roots from freeze damage in extreme winters.

I'd move those suckers inside to be safe. Again someone in a northern climate with experience might say otherwise, but many rhizome based plants are 'freeze' vulnerable.

Do they need fertilizer periodically through the winter?

No, mulch with organic material, decomposing leaves work GREAT.

Sorry if I'm hogging the sunshine in this post, just saw a place I could be of service!

Schlante,
Phillip

No, mulch with organic material, decomposing leaves work GREAT.

When I say fertilizer in this instance I was meaning composted cow manure. I plan on pulling them into the garage and placing a hefty layer of compost on them. They also need water occasionally, right?

Yes, they will occasionally need water. My plants are also in huge containers and have been pulled into the garage for the winter along with some other perennials I have in pots. To be honest, a good soaking once a month will be plenty to keep them happy.

Regarding the manure as a top dressing, it couldn't hurt. It's adding nutrients back into the soil and should help with next year's crop. I have a nice thick layer of this year's compost on top that should keep them a bit warmer, wetter, and give them the nutrients needed for a huge yield next year.

Back