Lagered cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatBeagle

Reaction score
Hi all... I'm very new to homebrewing with only 5 batches under my belt. I disovered 12 gallons of apple cider in the chest freezer over at the farm left over from last year. SWMBO really likes cider (and hates my ipas, or hairspray as she calls them) so I desided to make her some while having an experiment at the same time. I thawed the cider, dumped them into 2 seperate carboys. To both of the batches I added 2.5# brown sugar. I used English Cider yeast in one and American Lager yeast in the other, both from White Labs. I was just wondering if anyone has ever used a lager yeast before and if so, what were their results.

A "sticky" is a thread (discussion) on this forum that has been purposely marked so that it "sticks," or always stays at the top of the page. Just look at the section right above all the cider topics and there will be several threads in a section by themselves. The stickies are a wealth of great information--practically a course in homebrewing all by themselves. Good luck!

I was just wondering if anyone has ever used a lager yeast before and if so, what were their results.

Someone has won the cider category at the National Homebrew Competition using a lager yeast. The recipe is over at the American Homebrewers Association in their forum. What temp are you fermenting at?

Back