Is there anything in the krausen that needs to stay in the beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got 3 kits I'm itching to brew (mostly the caribou slobber) but I got behind by a week on my schedule so all of my 6.5g primaries are still in use until at least next weekend. I won't have time to brew next weekend, sooo, I was thinking about using my empty 5g carboys to get these 3 batches moving. I picked up some 1" blowoff tubing, but am now wondering if there is a reason outside of blowoff that I shouldn't do this. Mainly, is there anything in the krausen that is going to be blown off that I would want to stay in the beer?

According to the Complete Joy Of Homebrewing, krausen can make your beer bitter and to remove it would improve the flavor but you lose volume. That's all I know.

Great, thanks for the link Edcculus! I searched for fermenting in a 5 gallon carboy, but didn't find anything about it. Guess I did the wrong search. :)
From that read, it sounds like it is often beneficial to remove, and may explain the strong hop flavor I've had on a couple brews that shouldn't. Looks like I'm brewing tomorrow, and the next day, and the next! :mug:

Back