So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm brewing a Belgian pale ale that I plan on adding hibiscus after fermentation. I can't wait for this beer to be ready!

Brewed 4 gal of my Rose's Gold DIPA, hopped with Mosaic, Galaxy, Ahtanaum, 7C's, and Chinook. Dry hop is going to be El Dorado, Ahtanum, Mosaic, and Galaxy. The first time I brewed this it came spectacular so hoping for continued success with this batch.

Brewed 10 gal of Evil Red yesterday on my new electric system. 1.072 OG with 8 oz of Centennial and Amarillo. Then dry hop. Have good fermentation indications this morning. Loving getting back into this hobby!

Ouch! That is a painful injury. My son had pneumonia a couple months ago and pulled a rib cage muscle while coughing. He told me coughing, sneezing, or basically any movement was quite painful. Very little recourse but to just let it heal on its own.

Old ale is now in full force in the fermenter. Brew day went well, but overshot OG. (target 1.082, is 1.088) Already lost a pint and a half to blow-off. Tonight I should be able to clean it up and put the air lock in. Beer nicely settled in at 63.2°F and will do my Diacetyl rest probably tomorrow or Wednesday depending on fermentation level. Probably will not take a gravity reading until next weekend.

Problem -used a buddy's brew kettle and trusted the thermometer on it and undershot mash (S/B 156°F , is 148°F). I used WY1968 and expect FG to bottom out at low 1.020's. Probably closer to 1.025. This will be too sweet. I want a 1.015 FG and am trying to figure out how ot get there. I have US-05 and OYL-211 Bit o' Funk available. Wondering what would be a better choice for a second pitch. Batch is 20% rye, so a lot of protein for body.

Wondering what to do at this point - I will be aging this probably until November. Still thinking Brett but this will finish out very dry and probably closer to a low-hopped barleywine as opposed to an old ale.....

Old ale is now in full force in the fermenter. Brew day went well, but overshot OG. (target 1.082, is 1.088) Already lost a pint and a half to blow-off. Tonight I should be able to clean it up and put the air lock in. Beer nicely settled in at 63.2°F and will do my Diacetyl rest probably tomorrow or Wednesday depending on fermentation level. Probably will not take a gravity reading until next weekend.

Problem -used a buddy's brew kettle and trusted the thermometer on it and undershot mash (S/B 156°F , is 148°F). I used WY1968 and expect FG to bottom out at low 1.020's. Probably closer to 1.025. This will be too sweet. I want a 1.015 FG and am trying to figure out how ot get there. I have US-05 and OYL-211 Bit o' Funk available. Wondering what would be a better choice for a second pitch. Batch is 20% rye, so a lot of protein for body.

Wondering what to do at this point - I will be aging this probably until November. Still thinking Brett but this will finish out very dry and probably closer to a low-hopped barleywine as opposed to an old ale.....

You could do what the Mad Fermentationist did with his Courage RIS,basically kill off the brett when you get to the gravity you want.Link is here http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2017/01/courage-ris-no-brett-tasting.html

Managed to get a double batch of my favorite trappist ale brewed - in spite of my ventilation system dying a sudden silent death just as I was about to dough-in.
Dismantled the ducts and removed the blower, dug out a 20" fan, wedged it in the shop window surrounded by plywood, a 1x4 and some cardboard, opened the bathroom window across the hall, et voila! :D

ab_12mar2017_01.jpg

Another addition to the pipeline safely in the ferm fridge, already starting to percolate...

ab_12mar2017_02.jpg

Cheers!

Building a cooker hood to the garage from a stainless kitchen sink as I write this :D

Totally unrelated to brewing but that reminded me of one time years ago when I used to own quite a few Peugeots in a row. One time when the monthly owner's magazine came the envelope said "popular car repair tool included". I opened it up and found a big black ziptie inside :D They sure have a sense of humor and self irony at the dealership :D

I'll be brewing my 4th batch of beer using a single hop variety neomexicanus.

Because my end game is to establish the brewing characteristics of the hops I grow, that are an unknown so far as data, I use the PicoBrew system so I can achieve precise duplication of the brew.

I use a session recipe (graph attached). 5 lbs 2 Row, 5 lbs Crystal and .25 lbs Carapils. All 4 hop adjuncts are the same hop, same measurement. After I transfer the brew from the tank to a carboy I dry hop with the same hop same measurement, add Safale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast, cork it and let the brew sit in the dark at 68 degrees for 10 days.

Then I move it back to the tank and into the refrigerator with C02 for 2 days. I bottle at the end of the 2nd day.

The first brew, Arbor Muerte, was peachy minty. The second, Chihuahua, had apricot tones. The third, Culvert, had a wine grape flavor.

Can't wait to see what this one, Steep, and the next 77 will be like.

So my brewing part is pretty boring. But the results are really exciting!

View attachment Beer Graph.PDF

Doing Caribou Slobber on Saturday, as well as finally getting around to brewing a Jalapeno Amber for the husband (yeccchhh but he likes it).

Jalapeño Amber, I must say I've never had it but I think I'm with ya, doesn't sound too tasty.

Giving it some serious thought

As am I... Have two empty fermenters and ingredients for a Two Hearted clone.

The other fermenter is holding a wee heavy so it will be unavailable for at least 4 more weeks. I want something that will turn around quickly!

Planning to brew a second batch of the pistonhead-ish pale next weekend but have to bottle both fermenters and finish building a cooker hood to the garage first. Busy week coming.

Cooker hood done and tested. Started thinking if I could bother two brew nights in a row, Instead of 12-14L I could dona full vessel of it for the price of getting 3kg of pale, then I would have all my bottles filled and could relax for a while.

Have to ask HWMO what our propane status is! We just kegged up the flat tire crone we kicked off before heading to Florida, and now it's warming back up to the 50s by the weekend. So time to brew our pale ale, this time we are going to use Amarillo instead of Cascade (or a blend.)

Not really a SMaSH, but a simple recipe like SNPA to let us try out the different hop varieties.

I have ingredients to make 7 brews and have three empty 6 gallon carboys and a 14 gallon SS fermenter. I'm debating it also.... Just need propane

Always here for samples..😉

Doing a starter dubbel brew for a cherry quad. Have an Old Rasputin clone to do. Will divided so half bourbon/coffee, half coconut.

Happy St. Patty's Day Everyone! Due to everyone's schedules and work, we are having a St. Patty's Day party at the house with everyone coming over tomorrow (Saturday) instead of today. The wife is cooking the corned beef and cabbage and potatoes. I will have ten gallons of a nice Irish Red on tap that I brewed for this party, and also 5 gallons of the Chocolate Milk Stout that's left over from a prior 10 gallon batch. This will push my brew day back. So I will be brewing on Monday and I am going to brew a Munich Dunkel. Using German Bock lager yeast and already have the starter made. Just have to cold crash it now!

John

Back