Ideas for a brew a women might like

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleAught

Reaction score
Looking for some ideas of a brew that my wife might enjoy. She doesn't like the taste of beer, so it's my personal goal to make a beer so good that she will say she likes it. The bitterness is what shes not so much into so it'll have to be something sweet. I've read up on a couple strawberry summer ales but thats about it. I lived in Germany for about a decade and although the reinheitsgebot doesnt allow it, women (and some men) who didnt enjoy the taste of beer would add all kinds of stuff to their glass to sweeten the taste. Be it a banana weizen, cola pils, or a lemon Radler. I would love to brew a banana krystal weizen or the previously mention strawberry ale. I could see her possibly liking these and making it possible for my wife and I to share a beer together for the first time ever.

Any ideas and input are appreciated!

Thanks!

Looking for some ideas of a brew that my wife might enjoy. She doesn't like the taste of beer, so it's my personal goal to make a beer so good that she will say she likes it. The bitterness is what shes not so much into so it'll have to be something sweet. I've read up on a couple strawberry summer ales but thats about it. I lived in Germany for about a decade and although the reinheitsgebot doesnt allow it, women (and some men) who didnt enjoy the taste of beer would add all kinds of stuff to their glass to sweeten the taste. Be it a banana weizen, cola pils, or a lemon Radler. I would love to brew a banana krystal weizen or the previously mention strawberry ale. I could see her possibly liking these and making it possible for my wife and I to share a beer together for the first time ever.

Any ideas and input are appreciated!

Thanks!

Try something like this, this one will be sweet,and fairly silky in texture. I didn't include a yeast, but i would go for a fruity English strain as apposed to a wheat strain for this one.

Wife Pleaser

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 8.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Mild Malt - Ashburne (Briess) (5.3 SRM) Grain 33.33 %
3.00 lb Oats, Malted (1.0 SRM) Grain 25.00 %
3.00 lb Wheat - White Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM) Grain 25.00 %
1.00 lb Caramel Malt - 30L (Briess) (30.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
1.00 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 24.3 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.067 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.45 %
Bitterness: 24.3 IBU
Est Color: 10.5 SRM

Mash Profile

Double Infusion, Medium Body Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Protein Rest Add 10.80 qt of water at 132.1 F 122.0 F
30 min Saccrification Add 9.60 qt of water at 197.3 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 8.40 qt of water at 205.6 F 168.0 F

I do a take on Leilenkugels Summer Shandy. Basic blonde ale recipe with Crystal Light powder in the secondary. Based on CL directions, I use the amount for three gallons of lemonade for 5 gallons beer.

Thanks Vance, that looks like an excellent recipe! MIght have to give that one a shot, love the name of it as well!

sfrisby, I like the idea of lemon as well. Might hide the flavors she doesnt like.....

Very nice, light, beer both men and women (who don't like beer) enjoy!

Chicks dig this one:

ABV - 4.8%

IBU - 14

Calories - 145

Hops - Target

Fruits/Spice - Orange Peel, Coriander

5 gallon extract recipe is:

Steeping grains for 45 min
.5 Carapils
1 lb Honey Malt
.5 Belgian Pale Ale
3 lbs Wheat LME @ 60 min
3 lbs Wheat LME @ 20 min
1 oz Target Hops @ 60 min
.5 oz Target Hops @ 20 min
1 oz sweet orange @ 20 min
.5 oz crushed coriander @ 20 min

Danstar Windsor Dry Yeast
or
Brewferm Blanche

My goal was to keep is tasty and inexpensive. Great beer to play cornhole and BBQ’n all day.

Thanks Vance, that looks like an excellent recipe! MIght have to give that one a shot, love the name of it as well!

Np i try, and the Amarillo hops tend to taste kinda citrus-fruity to me so also a nice hop choice for the wife or Gf, My woman, who isnt a beer drinker either, will drink almost anything as long as it is made with Amarillo hops lol :rockin:

Bump,
My wife will sample any beer I buy/brew, but so far the only one she's finished a bottle on her own was Black Butte Porter. So no "girly" beers for her I guess. :mug:

Bump,
My wife will sample any beer I buy/brew, but so far the only one she's finished a bottle on her own was Black Butte Porter. So no "girly" beers for her I guess. :mug:

Might i say that your Wife has excellent taste in beer! The girl i was with when i lived in Seattle also loved this beer, funny thing is she was the same way, she would try any of them but normally it was a sip or 3 out of my beer. We settled into Black Butte for her and Obsidian Stout for me.

Here is another one you can try, Every woman that has tried this one has loved it, and the name well with the ABV this one comes in at the name is very fitting if they drink more than 1 lol. Keep the temp as low in the ale range as you can and give this one at least 6 months in the bottle and it will be sure to please.

Silk Panty Dropper

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 8.00 gal
Boil Time: 90 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Oats, Malted (1.0 SRM) Grain 28.57 %
5.00 lb Pale Malt, Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcett) (3.0 SRM) Grain 28.57 %
5.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 28.57 %
2.00 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 11.43 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2.86 %
2.00 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] (30 min) Hops 40.4 IBU
2 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) Yeast-Ale Or a Large Starter

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.099 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.023 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.99 %
Bitterness: 40.4 IBU
Est Color: 12.6 SRM

Mash Profile

Double Infusion, Medium Body
30 min Protein Rest Add 15.75 qt of water at 132.1 F 122.0 F
30 min Saccrification Add 14.00 qt of water at 197.3 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 12.25 qt of water at 205.6 F 168.0 F

I do an easy drinking Raspberry Pils, albeit it's actually an ale with US-05 but it's got potential to please in your case. Super easy:

9.5lbs pilsner malt
.5oz saaz @60min
.5oz saaz @5min

Single infusion. 60 minute boil.

Once fermentation is done I buy a few of the shallow boxes (pints?) of raspberries at the grocery store. I mash them up with just a bit of water and heat to 170º and hold it there for about 10 minutes to pasteurize them. Add them to a clean, sanitized carboy and rack on top of them. Last batch I left in secondary for about five days.

I did another transfer to get the beer off the seeds and pulp etc. and cold crashed and kegged. Everybody liked it but my wife in particular enjoyed it. Another friend's wife requested a growler of it as well. Both women are predominately wine drinkers.

YMMV

Some people don't like beer. It's ok, but it's an exercise in frustration if you try to make something she will like because she just doesn't like beer. I don't like Nascar, but it's not like my husband tries to "show me the light" by pushing it on me. I'd accept that she doesn't like beer. She'll be disappointed that she may not like your creations for her, and so will you.

If you want to make something she will like, why not make something she likes? Hard lemonade, those Island Mist wine kits (they're like wine coolers), mix up some ginger ale, etc.

Back