Using no bag for hops schedule.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theblindguy

Reaction score
I have always bought pre-hopped kits before but this time I decided to switch to a recipe. When I was getting everything together my LBS guy told me I did not need to steep my hops during the boil and to just dump them in. Does this seem right? I took their advise and dumped in the bittering hops at the beginning of the boil and added the finishing hops to the last ten minutes.

Is this right or do I need to use some sort of steeping bag>?

The bags just make it easier to separate the hops from the wort when your filling your fermenter. I wouldn't worry about it.

That's exactly how you do it. You can either strain out the hops when transferring to primary, or just let the whole 9 yards go into the primary, you'll make beer either way.

I've never used a hop bag, just dump them in and strain them out. It's not even really an issue if they wind up in your fermenter, they will settle to the bottom with all the other trub once fermentation is complete.

Latest posts

Back