Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A stupid question from a non-American. When you speak of a can of juice concentrate, what amount is that?

I just made a batch last night. I used brown sugar and shook it up the same way the instructions say to do with the corn sugar. Is that ok? I see some people saying they heated the juice to dissolve the sugar...

I just made a batch last night. I used brown sugar and shook it up the same way the instructions say to do with the corn sugar. Is that ok? I see some people saying they heated the juice to dissolve the sugar...

It's probably better to dissolve, but it won't really be a problem, just make sure the sugar doesn't settle on the bottom. If it does, just shake it up every day or two. Corn Sugar (Glucose in Britain) dissolves much easier than anything else, so keep an eye open!

Let us know how this one turns out, I've wanted to try a few different types of sugar :)

It's probably better to dissolve, but it won't really be a problem, just make sure the sugar doesn't settle on the bottom. If it does, just shake it up every day or two. Corn Sugar (Glucose in Britain) dissolves much easier than anything else, so keep an eye open!

Let us know how this one turns out, I've wanted to try a few different types of sugar :)

Ok, that's what I was afraid of in hindsight... I'll take a look and see if it settled out. I didn't have any corn sugar available.

I added the brown sugar to the apple juice containers and shook the crap out them.

Ok thanks, glad I'm not the only one. This was really easy to make. Only hassle was waiting for the foam to settle enough to get all the AJ in there. Star san foam didn't really help matters. I got my apple juice from Aldi for $3/gallon, not too bad.

Just as an update, I saw a thin layer of something (sugar) at the bottom, so I carefully shook the carboy mixing it all back up. Fermentation had begun, but it was very very slow after 24 hours. It's only 64 degrees though, so that could be the reason.

edit: Now after 36 hours it's bubbling away regularly. I suppose I should avoid shaking it any more.

My latest batches of apfelwein are fermenting in 5 gallon better bottles. But my first attempts were made in the original .75 gal bottles that the juice came in. Out of 15 bottles, one of them looks a bit different. After about 2 weeks of fermentation it developed long white "strands" in it. When I move the bottle around a bit, the strands dissipate, but reappear the next day. Lately they are not as noticeable. Has anyone had this happen? Is that bottle infected or ruined?

Anybody stick this stuff in a tap-a-draft system? Anything I should look out for?

Drinking it too fast? I'm just about to finish up my first tapadraft bottle of cider (not apfelwein) and it couldn't have been easier. Don't even need to prime it with sugar if you don't mind using extra co2 cartridges to force carb. Only thing would be if you have sediments I would clear that up before sticking in the bottle since the tap is just connected to a short weighted tube that sucks up from the bottom.

Just made my first batch, will start a second in a few weeks per EdWort's advice. In that second batch, I'll probably try out the EC-1118, as I've seen a few that prefer that flavor.

My wife was shocked at how inexpensive it was:
5 gallons Target apple juice = 17.45
2 pounds Dextrose = 3.60
5 grams Montrachet = 0.79
Total = 21.84

I created a starter by dropping 3 quarts of the first gallon into the carboy, and adding the yeast packet and nutrients. Gave it 15 minutes to bloom, and then dropped it.

All night reading this post, Ran to the store this morning and got the apple juice and decided to try Turbinado sugar. I don't have the Montrachet, but I have Nottingham so I am using that. I will order the corn sugar and the Montrachet and start a second batch when that arrives. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

I created a starter by dropping 3 quarts of the first gallon into the carboy, and adding the yeast packet and nutrients. Gave it 15 minutes to bloom, and then dropped it.

I had good fermentation this morning, but it is going gangbusters right now, with the airlock bubbling once per second.

Hey guys I cracked my first bottle I thought it was great I only waited a month kind of tasted like a wine but its good! My question is how do I make my next batch sweeter? I gave the swmbo a few sips she likes cider but said it wasn't sweet enough! I used 10 lbs of light brown sugar... she used to magners pear and harpoon cider... I'm going to brew another batch tomorrow so any sugguestions/help would be great! Also for yeast, I used Red Montrachet!

Hey guys I cracked my first bottle I thought it was great I only waited a month kind of tasted like a wine but its good! My question is how do I make my next batch sweeter? I gave the swmbo a few sips she likes cider but said it wasn't sweet enough! I used 10 lbs of light brown sugar... she used to magners pear and harpoon cider... I'm going to brew another batch tomorrow so any sugguestions/help would be great! Also for yeast, I used Red Montrachet!

That's a lot of sugar. How much did you make?

johnnyspade said:
That's a lot of sugar. How much did you make?

Yeah, the five gallon batch I made with 10lbs of sugar had the yeast choke out and was still way too sweet to drink. Its sitting in bottles until I can figure out what to do with it.

As far as sweetening goes, splenda works great and wont ferment, but dont over do it

bpm2000 said:
Drinking it too fast? I'm just about to finish up my first tapadraft bottle of cider (not apfelwein) and it couldn't have been easier. Don't even need to prime it with sugar if you don't mind using extra co2 cartridges to force carb. Only thing would be if you have sediments I would clear that up before sticking in the bottle since the tap is just connected to a short weighted tube that sucks up from the bottom.

The drinking too fast was a concern for me so I made a batch with only a pound of sugar in it :)

airdusters said:
Where the heck are you guys getting your corn sugar from? I can't seem to find any :(

I have used almost every type of fermentable I can get my hands on, and cane sugar works very well. You just have to shake the containers a bit more to dissolve it.

Hey guys I cracked my first bottle I thought it was great I only waited a month kind of tasted like a wine but its good! My question is how do I make my next batch sweeter?

Interesting that your apfelwein tasted like.. wine! :D

For sweetening it up there's a thread going over in the cider forum about having a sweet, sparkling wine. Else you can just kill the yeast off with K-sorbate and K-meta and then sweeten to your taste.

I was getting ready to keg it before I left for my vacation to Bolivia but I decided just to let it age more for the two weeks I'm gone. I get back this Sunday and I can't wait to try it. I alway get way to impatient and only let I age for a month. This stuff is going on 2-3 months I think.

I was getting ready to keg it before I left for my vacation to Bolivia but I decided just to let it age more for the two weeks I'm gone. I get back this Sunday and I can't wait to try it. I alway get way to impatient and only let I age for a month. This stuff is going on 2-3 months I think.

Seriously, try 6 months!

Well, my first batch of apfelwein is now carbed up, and I'm enjoying the first few serious glasses. This stuff is amazing. I'm going to have to start a batch to age here VERY soon (this batch was only at 5 weeks..).

But I already have the feeling I'm not going to enjoy tomorrow if I have many more...

Made this stuff six weeks ago and about 2 weeks ago this stuff has REALLY cleared up. I stick to beer mostly and that is usually pretty cloudy at this point but this apfelwein is really clear. It's cool to be able to see right through my carboy.

The directions couldn't be any easier, but man those rhino farts at about day 5 were BAD.

What are some common fruits or sugars to add at this point? How about honey or brown sugar or something?

What are some common fruits or sugars to add at this point? How about honey or brown sugar or something?[/QUOTE]

I added some raspberries, about a 2lbs to my apfelwein, just kegged it and it tastes amazing.

Made this stuff six weeks ago and about 2 weeks ago this stuff has REALLY cleared up. I stick to beer mostly and that is usually pretty cloudy at this point but this apfelwein is really clear. It's cool to be able to see right through my carboy.

The directions couldn't be any easier, but man those rhino farts at about day 5 were BAD.

What are some common fruits or sugars to add at this point? How about honey or brown sugar or something?

I've done 2lbs of Dark Brown sugar and I really enjoyed that.

Bottle the first batch that was start in february and almost done going through that so onto a second batch that will sit and hopefully be ready by October.....have a wedding I would like to present it at.

Thanks again for the Recipe! easy and getting more praise as i share it!

5 gallons bottle up yesterday. OG 1.060, FG 0.990. I was quite surprised by the flavor; I thought all of the apple flavor would have fermented out, but it is present, and it is just sweet enough - I can't imagine back-sweetening this!

YUM! :mug:

100_6996.jpg

I have a question. I hear all of you talking about adding raspberries to the apfelwein, when exactly do you do this and how much? I finished my first batch last month and have already bottled (half carbed, half still). I found it to be a little on the dry side and was hoping this may solve the problem without being overly sweet on my next batch.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Back