When making a recipe using a full wort boil, do I need to

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should get around 1 gallon of loss during a 1 hour boil, give or take. I always make sure my starting boil is at 6 Gallons! :mug:

base my recipe on 6 g, 5.5g, or 5 g of wort?

You should base your recipe on your anticipated post-boil volume. Say you're boiling 7 gallons for 60 minutes and anticipate 5.5 gallons at the end, then scale the recipe for 5.5 gallons. (Of course, you may only send 5 to the fermenter after trub loss.)

The amount that you lose to boiloff is going to be dependant upon a number of factors - the vigor of your boil, the altitude of your location, the ambient temperature, the size of your kettle, etc. I'd say that Taipans is correct that 1g/h is a good rough estimate, but the only way to really find out is to do a full boil and measure your volumes carefully both before and after.

As for how much to start with, that depends on all of the factors above as well as how much you want to be able to lose in transfers. I always shoot for 6 gallons of wort at the end of my boil. That way I can leave 1/2 gallon of slop behind in the kettle, and I can leave as much as 1/4 gallon behind when I rack from primary to secondary and another 1/4 gallon when going from secondary to keg.

On my system I collect just shy of 7.5 gallons of wort and boil down to 6 gallons in 60 minutes. Your results will vary.

I collect between 7 and 9 gals depending on the grain bill and boil down to 6 gals also for the same reasons as mentioned above. I boil off between .8 and 1.2 gals per hour depending on humidity.

I formulate my recipes for 6 gal.

If I over boil, I add some top off water to hit exactly 6 gal.

I leave a half gallon in the kettle after whirlpooling and siphon, leaving behind the trub.

I also leave a half gallon in the fermenter, leaving the yeast/hops behind. Works well for me, 5 gal of clean beer in the bottling bucket.

I used to strain every last drop of wort from the trub and tilt the carboy to siphon as much as possible, but it has proven to be not worth the effort and aggravation.

It's worth the extra ingredients to always collect a consistent amount of beer.

Back