Noob question, Funny Smell ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evilinfidel

Reaction score
Hi All, I am greener then green at home brewing. I have my first batch fermenting and as it bubbles away, the smell coming from the airlock is not a pleasent one. is this normal or an indication of the product inside ?

Not always, I've found most of the things I've fernented have had moments of smelling nice and moments if smelling nasty, with ciders throwing off sulphur and meads giving off nail varnish. My beers have also been a bit variable with my current one smelling rather nasty, think I didn't aerate enough but dont know how its going to turn out yet!

Good morning Kapbrew13, it was a Pilsner kit made by Thomas Coopers. the yeast was part of the kit and I am afraid i dropped the ball and never recorded the yeast type.

Evilinfidel said:
Good morning Kapbrew13, it was a Pilsner kit made by Thomas Coopers. the yeast was part of the kit and I am afraid i dropped the ball and never recorded the yeast type.

Don't worry. Give it a couple weeks, take gravity reading, and consume the sample. Tastes good? All is good.

thanks for the input !, win lose or draw I am going to keep at as I really enjoyed brewing the first batch. The simple kit taught me some stuff that I will takeaway from it. Namely keeping a brewing log !

Evilinfidel said:
thanks for the input !, win lose or draw I am going to keep at as I really enjoyed brewing the first batch. The simple kit taught me some stuff that I will takeaway from it. Namely keeping a brewing log !

+1 brew day log. Notepad, iPad, tablet, napkin. Just keep track. And have fun doing it.

Latest posts

Back