Nelson Sauvin-hopped Belgian Pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
I have a propogator pack of Wyeast Belgian Wheat that I won in a contest and a 3 lb tub of LME in my fridge. With my Maibock at least eight weeks away from being ready and nothing else coming down the pike, I am thinking of whipping up a small, three gallon batch of Belgian Pale that I can enjoy in the meantime. Also my LHBS just got some Nelson Sauvin hops in stock and I really want to try those out, so we're killing two birds with one stone here. Since I have no experience with the style or the hop, I wanted some opinions/input on my recipe:

Belgian Pale
Batch size: 3 gal
IBU: 33.5 (approx)
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.010
Yeast: WY-3942 (32 oz starter)

Briess Golden LME: 3 lb
Munich 9L: 0.75 lb
White Wheat: 0.5 lb
Biscuit: 0.25
Aromatic: 0.25

Nelson Sauvin: 0.25 oz @ 30M
NS: 0.25 oz @ 15M
NS: 0.5 oz @ knockout
NS: 0.5 oz Dry hop

I know that Belgian Pales don't usually have this much hop character, but I really wanted to highlight the Nelson Sauvin hop flavor and aroma. I was also wondering what you guys thought of adding maybe a quarter pound of jaggery or pilloncilo. I know that's usually reserved for the strong ales, but I thought that might give this an interesting character. Plus I'm looking for a dry, crisp pale.

Back