I hate my bottling bucket spigot....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gremlyn

Reaction score
It dribbles and leaks when I have it open and there is seemingly nothing I can do about it! Would the plastic bucket be too curved or too thin to put a brass ball valve on there? Or is there a type/brand of bottling bucket spigot that doesn't suck?

I threw my bottling bucket away... I bottle using my autosiphon now. those spigots are hard to clean, and i was replacing it every 2-3 batches....

I rack out of my secondary back into whatever empty primary i have. then from they siphon out of the bucket into my bottles via the bottling wand....

I have the little wand dealy with the spring in it (just upgraded to that from the black one). That thing is great, but it just made my spigot leak more because the liquid could no longer leak out of the wand.

Found this on NB: Drum Tap - Buckets - Fermenting Equipment - Equipment

Anyone have any experience?

I bought a couple bucket fermenters at midwest supplies that had drum taps. They don't leak, but I don't think they'd work for bottling. They require a 5/8" ID hose which is pretty big. When I would transfer my beer through the 5/8" hose, I would get a lot of splashing because the beer is moving so quickly and since it was moving so quick, a lot of trub was transfered to secondary.

If I could find a drum tap that took 3/8" hosing, I would definitely switch to that.

I didn't even think about the tubing size, 5/8" would be way too big. So what about a brass ball valve then? Can always put a 90 degree bend right off the spigot and then the nipple to give the useful downward angle to the outlet. Hell, I could even put a pickup tube in there then to make sure I get it all out...

A brass ball valve would most likely be too heavy. Pick up a $15 Autpsiphon. IMO it's the best invention ever for brewing. Attach the bottling wand to the end of that. You have to have the BW pressed down to start the siphon, but thats not hard. This is how I did it when I used to bottle.

Well that does seem to be the consensus for bottling around here, and it'd be helpful to have anyway. Thanks guys :)

A brass ball valve would most likely be too heavy. Pick up a $15 Autpsiphon. IMO it's the best invention ever for brewing. Attach the bottling wand to the end of that. You have to have the BW pressed down to start the siphon, but thats not hard. This is how I did it when I used to bottle.

Ok so I am in the minority - I love my plastic spigot!!! I biggest thing I have learned is you just barely get it tight on the washer or it will leak. I use a small piece of tubing and put my bottling wand directly on the spigot. This has saved me tons of time and I no longer hate bottling. I also use a pvc 90 instead of a nut on the inside and it pulls all but a couple of ounces out of the bottle bucket.

I took most of this tips off of this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

Go luck.

i had spitgot probelms in the begining i was tightening it to tight. now just snug and bottling wand. next batch botteling 07/28/09.

Ok so I am in the minority - I love my plastic spigot!!! I biggest thing I have learned is you just barely get it tight on the washer or it will leak. I use a small piece of tubing and put my bottling wand directly on the spigot. This has saved me tons of time and I no longer hate bottling. I also use a pvc 90 instead of a nut on the inside and it pulls all but a couple of ounces out of the bottle bucket.

I took most of this tips off of this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

Go luck.
This is a great way to bottle too, but he seems annoyed with his spigot. This is easier than using it on siphon IMO! Just open the valve and lift the bottle up to press the pin in and lower when full.

Yeah, the issue wasn't even leaking from the seal around the spigot, but from the spigot itself. It seems to leak out of the air hole on the front of the spigot. I actually am using a very short hose, maybe 6", with the wand on the end. It is easy enough to do the bottling, but I don't like losing 1/2 a bottle when trying to do it.

Very strange, I have never had a spigot leak from that point. I have 3 different ones purchased from different vendors. Have you taken the spigot apart and resembled? I have seen them leak if the shaft isn't snapped all the way back in - just a thought.

I bought a couple bucket fermenters at midwest supplies that had drum taps. They don't leak, but I don't think they'd work for bottling. They require a 5/8" ID hose which is pretty big. When I would transfer my beer through the 5/8" hose, I would get a lot of splashing because the beer is moving so quickly and since it was moving so quick, a lot of trub was transfered to secondary.

If I could find a drum tap that took 3/8" hosing, I would definitely switch to that.

How about a short piece of smaller diameter tubing jammed into the end of the 5/8 I.D. tubing to restrict the flow? Maybe you could even attach a bottling wand to the end of the smaller tubing.

I find it interesting I'm at approximatley batch 30+ using the bottling spigots on my primary fermenters. Never an issue, beer flows. I never have to siphon.

As for cleaning I remove every two batches and soak in hot PBW. The buckets are cleaned via Oxyclean.

When I need to bottle I transfer from one bucket to another and always use the bottling wand.

I just don't get why it seems everyone hates these spigots....

I've done about 50 batches with the original spigot (the kind with the red handle) that I got with my Midwest kit, and no problems. There were two rubber washers that came with it, and I make sure to put one on either side of the bucket wall. I just snug the nut down, don't make any particular attempt to screw it on real tight.

I had a tough time figuring out how to take the spigot apart for cleaning, until I read on one of these threads to hold it under hot tap water for a few seconds, and it'll pull right out.....and it DID have crud in it.

I, too, have never had an issue with my spigot. And after three years of using at least every 2 months, I have never taken it apart and cleaned it either. I rinse the bucket after bottling very well, run clean, hot water through the spigot and then when I get ready to bottle again, the bucket gets cleaned with Sun cleaner and the soapy water gets run through the spigot for a minute. Then a good rinse and then a soak with Star San and again I run Star San through the spigot before dumping it out. I've made well over 300 gallons during this time and never had a problem with leaking or infections.

Maybe the spigot I got just sucks, it's only a few bucks to get a new one. I'll try to too.

Chicks dig the wand on the end of your hose. :D

+1 on picking up a new spigot. Sounds like you got a bum one or it cracked inside somewhere. They'd cheap enough to replace easily enough.

I picked up a new piece of tubing to attach the wand to the spigot as well. My problem was that what I had was so tight on the spigot I couldn't only get a few cm pushed on, then if you pulled it the wrong way it came off and beer started pouring out. Larger diameter tubing between the two and it works like a charm.

Not tight then, eh?
My spigot leaks from the seal. Mind you the hole wasn't quite big enough and the wall of the bucket dimples in or out when the spigot is attached.

Back