Bottling the mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larsenjohn067

Reaction score
Started a 3 gallon batch of joam 3 months ago. I have been thinking about bottling it around new years. I was wondering if I could just bottle it in wine bottles instead of 22 ounce bottles? It's usually around 12% abv?

I wouldn't rush to bottle it...

Depending on the batch size, and how I want to drink it, I'll use either 750ml, 375ml or a mixture of both. My current preference, though, is for 375ml [frosted] bottles. :D

I plan to bottle a 14% maple that I mixed up around December 4th 2011, today...

-update- Got 40 375ml bottles of my 2011 maple mead/wine done up. Finished in the 'medium' range (about 1.008) which is fine with me. I think the next batch, I'll aim to have it finish a little sweeter. At about 14% it should be pretty easy to drink. Just need to test a bottle to see what temperature it's best served/consumed at. :D Oh the testing we do for others... :drunk:

ABV really doesn't make a difference in bottle choice. The only gotcha I could think of that would cause you issues with wine bottles would be if the yeast aren't done and you get a renewed fermentation. That would blow corks out of a wine bottle but would just carb(hopefully not explode) a normal crown capped bottle.

Personally I always do both beer bottles and corked wine bottles of every large batch I make. Wine bottles are good for when I have guests drinking, otherwise if I just want a glass or 2 of mead at night by myself a whole bottle is overkill so I like to have 12oz bottles around.

I also agree with the above, don't rush bottling regardless of how it's bottled.

Latest posts

Back