Extract with grains recipe suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPD

Reaction score
Joined today. Have been brewing only since May. Experimenting with several different styles of beer as I usually have only drunk lager styles (Yuengling, Amstel, etc) and German wheat beers. (favorite is Marke Weltenburger Hefe-Weizen Hell, if anyone knows of a kit that is close this would be great).

Have made a "Pennsylvania Lager" (Yuengling lager clone), a Mexican Cerveza, an Oktoberfest/Marzan and a Golden Ale. Have ordered a Belgian Wit and a Harpoon UFO clone.

In the future months I am planning a red ale/lager, a pale ale, an ESB, an oatmeal stout and another lager, or any other suggestion. I plan on trying to brew one batch per month. Any suggestions on extract kit recipes that stand out that I should consider ordering? Am having a great time learning to brew and any help, suggestions etc would be fantastic.
Ben

:mug:I have been using recipes that I found on Bader Beer and wine supply site. I just made the HopHead, a clone of Mcmenamin's HammerHead. Its a pale ale and real easy to brew using extract and steeping grains. From their recipes I have also made a Irish Cream stout and then I tinkered with it a little, adding some choclate malt to get the taste I like. I also subbed flaked oats for the flaked barley and made an Oatmeal stout that was really good. I pretty much alternate between the Hophead and the stout, just depends on my mood. Anyway, welcome to the obsession! I also use the recipe calculator at Tastybrew.com. It figures out hops IBU's and it's kind of fun to play with if you know what ingredients you are using.:mug:

What would you like to try? Many of us have posted fairly simple recipes, in different categories. If you think about a commercial beer or style you'd like to try, we can help you come up with a recipe.

I'm enjoying trying several beers styles that I have never really tried before. my upcoming list to order is an Irish red ale or lager, an English pale ale (such as Bass), an ESB, and possibly an oatmeal stout (wolover has one I like but I have only tried a couple) and a hefeweizen (I was in Germany a couple of years ago and started to drink these as well as Crystal Weizen). I live 10 blocks from the old Yuengling brewery and this has been a staple beer for us the last few years so my first brew was from Annapolis home brew their "Pennsylvania" Lager and I have to say that I will brew this routinely as I like that style of lager.

So I will gladly consider any suggestions or recipes but presently am only doing extract brewing. I will lager once the weather cools as I have a root celler under my front porch which gets down and stays in the 40's until the very cold of winter. I am going thru the recipe section of the site and have seen several

As soon as I can have my buddy come over and do the Belgian wit he wanted I'll do the Hefe. Thanks

lately I have been going into my LHBS and just talking with the guy. I plan on bringing in some recipes that I found online for him to put the kits together for me. Also you could pick up the "Brew Your Own" issue that has 150 classic clone recipes and then show your LHBS and see if they can put a kit together from that.

I like the idea of ordering from him because
-I don't have to wait for my shipment to come in
-I support someone local
-My yeast doesn't sit in a hot truck while crossing the country.

Is it your gear or your buddy's gear?! j/k ;)

If your sig is accurate, you have 2 empty fermenters. Sounds like a two batch day to me! :)

the original supplies were a joint venture as he will be going to Iraq for a year just after the holidays (glass carboy and glass secondary) he didn't want to get 2 sets of equipment yet until he returns. the secondary fermenter I just purchased for my own use. have to wait until october pay (I only get paid once a month: PITA) as I purchased three different cases this month the fermentor and the Wit beer and the bank account is already down to $36 and I have to coast the next 2 weeks. Maybe I'll have him order the Hefe in and we could do a 2 batch day I do have 2 burners. :) :mug:

lately I have been going into my LHBS and just talking with the guy. ......
I like the idea of ordering from him because
-I don't have to wait for my shipment to come in
-I support someone local
-My yeast doesn't sit in a hot truck while crossing the country.

would love to do this but the closest LHBS is an hour and 10 minutes away
Maybe I can convince the wife on a road trip as the LHBS is just below the Brew Works restaurant in Bethlehem PA and she did want to try this. But as above might have to wait until October

Latest posts

Back