Immersion Chiller Build Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadalive

Reaction score
I'm building my own immersion chiller and I bought some (what i think is copper) compression fittings for the hose attachments and inside the bags are little slips of paper stating "This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Plumber: California law requires that this warning be given to the customer." So should I be worried or what? Should I be using something different?

I'm building my own immersion chiller and I bought some (what i think is copper) compression fittings for the hose attachments and inside the bags are little slips of paper stating "This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Plumber: California law requires that this warning be given to the customer." So should I be worried or what? Should I be using something different?

the fittings are brass which contains small amounts lead for machinablity. You can search the forum for pickling the brass which removes surface lead. i wouldn't worry about it. Only option to avoid brass is Stainless which is spendy. along the lines of 16 bucks a fitting

:off: cali must have the highest cancer rate in the world with all the notifications they have lol

These fittings will not come in contact with your wort, correct? So no worries...

Thats what I figured but I get weird with stuff like this. I'll probably pickle them as Jppostkw recommended to relieve my paranoia lol.

Seems like everything in the state of California is known to cause cancer.

This glass from the Stone store has that warning. I would think it's not all that probable if they're still allowed to sell such products.

http://stonecompanystore.com/store/product/622/IRS-Specialty-Glass/

irs_specialty.jpg

Back