Read this before you buy from Kegkits.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the multiple threads about this supplier the general consensus is that you'll get the items ordered, for the most part. Little items like orings may be missing or rebuild kits *might* not be complete.

But the items will show up eventually. Good luck.

Thanks a ton! I'll stick it out a bit longer, just want to get my new project on its way.
-JtheB

What's with all the "No offense but..." posts.

Fug yes I would take offense. This isn't one random order people are having issues with it's a regular course of business with this outfit.
I'd never order from them and if I did and had problems I sure the hell wouldn't be so pc in criticizing them.
My .02

glad i saw this thread i almost placed an order with him has some jam up prices. but ill pay more for better service.

I ordered ~$250 from kegkits.com a couple months back and everything went smoothly. The shipping was a little slow, but nothing to complain about. Also, I've heard, but haven't verified, that it's illegal for online retailers to charge you for a purchase until it is actually shipped...

... Also, I've heard, but haven't verified, that it's illegal for online retailers to charge you for a purchase until it is actually shipped...
No such law.
Ordered from Kegkits before, had trouble with shipping, got a hold of the seller and eventually everything arrived - but slow.

This is odd. I had an online business not related to beer and the number one secret for me was fast response to e-mails and phone messages and letting a customer know if I had to hold an order because something was back ordered. Not doing any of these 3 things sinks your business quickly in the world of internet forums. I used the same paypal payment system he is using. If there was going to be a wait, I would offer to refund the money and e-mail them when the item was in.

Linc

I ordered some stuff from them back on the 6th of April. I to got the email invoice as soon as I ordered with the three day statement... It still has not arrived (1 month later), he wont answer emails and Im about to get pissed. I tried calling, but being from Alaska it tells me that he does not allow calls from "outside the u.s". :mad:

I will give it until Friday then my next call will be to the better business bureau.

It's not illegal, but it is in violation of Visa, Discover and Amex merchant rules. Don't order from Tom Hargrave at kegkits.com. He's very responsive - until he receives your order, then you'll never hear from him. I did receive most of the stuff I ordered, but only after I threatened him with a chargeback. I'll be disputing the charges from him once I get my bill.

Too many chargebacks will result in a credit card company pulling your account, or at least increasing your fees.

Michael

I ordered ~$250 from kegkits.com a couple months back and everything went smoothly. The shipping was a little slow, but nothing to complain about. Also, I've heard, but haven't verified, that it's illegal for online retailers to charge you for a purchase until it is actually shipped...

I escalated my Paypal dispute to a claim. They gave Tom a week to respond, which he did not. Now I'm waiting for Paypal's verdict, and insco2 is out of kegs. Grrrr!

I reported my story in another thread about Tom.
Lesson learned buying from KegKits - Home Brew Forums
Long story short, I waited 3+ weeks with no response, filed a Paypal dispute, got a response saying Perlicks are backordered, got my order minus kegs, asked several times for partial refund (he gave me the option), never heard from him again; escalated dispute to a claim, Paypal asked him for more info, he didn't reply, now waiting for Paypal's verdict.
I should have checked here first. Now I've wasted a couple of months, and insco2 is out of kegs. Grrrr!

The bottom line about Tom and his Kegkits.com business is that he is extremely slow and does not tell you about the 4+ week lead time. Sounds like a cash flow problem to me, taking your money, then buying what you ordered so he can ship it to you.

I would never order from kegkits.com unless I called them first to verify if he had it in stock and confirmed a shipping date. Sorry, there are too many reliable businesses out there who want your business and will ship your order in the next day.

But if you do not mind parting with your dollars for a month or so to save a few cents, then by all means go ahead.

BTW, Tom Hargrave Sales dba as http://www.kegkits.com has a big fat F rating from the Better Business Bureau of Huntsville.

If you have been hosed by him, click the link and file a complaint.

I wish it was only a month. I will definitely be filing a complaint with BBB, thanks.

I have placed several equipment orders at Midwest, and they are indeed excellent. Prices, service, AND shipping! That's how it's done.

Thanks for the suggestion. After checking, shipping is a little pricey. The keg prices almost make up for it, but for a 4 pack, I do better ordering from Adventures in Homebrewing (homebrewing.org), which is where I got my first keg. Chi has some of the single handle kegs which make it slightly cheaper than AIH, but it sounds like with the thinner SS, they might be beat up pretty good. Not that I care about how they look, but I at least would like my kegs to stand up on their own while filling.

Either way, as soon as I get my money back from Paypal, I'll be trying to give that money to someone that deserves it.

Just bumping this thread as I sent mr Tom a note about my order. Ordered over $100 worth of stuff which was at a great price several weeks ago.

Just sent this note to him:

vautourj to Tom Hargrave of KegKits.com said:
WARNING!
Failure to respond to this message by May 10 will force me to contact the Better Business Bureau and report fraudulent activity by your business. I will also push a charge back for my items since you have already taken my money! If necessary my lawyer will also be contacting you to possibly take this matter to a higher court for resolution.

All I want is something that tells me my items are on their way. I ordered a 3 gallon keg and two connectors (order details below) on April 21st. Your business model states most items ship in 3 days! Please provide a tracking number by May 10 or some explanation why my items have not shipped. Simply stating items are on 'back order' is not good enough. I have read the forums and this is your excuse to most orders that take too long to ship. If you do not have the item in stock, please explain why you still sell the item on your web site. If you do not plan to ship my item, then cancel my order and RETURN MY MONEY!

Again failure to respond to this message by May 10 will result in further actions being taken. I am giving you this last week to get your act together and ship my items.

I hope you read these forums Tom and get your $hit together. Any one have some suggestions?

Thanks,
John the Brewer

You gave him 5 days to respond to an email? That is mighty generous. I would have given him to the end of the next day to respond. If you are going to sell online, you need to be online. It does not take much to have a cell phone with email. Any respectable online business will have in place a way to respond to customer inquires within 24 hours at the latest. Most are within a couple hours and even minutes in my experience.

Me, I would just contest the charge as merchandise ordered but never delivered and go buy somewhere else.

I would be happy to help those out that have had a bad experience. I keep hearing about the great prices but if you want to let me know what you need and how much with shipping you paid, I will do my best to help everyone out with a price match.

Ed

You gave him 5 days to respond to an email? That is mighty generous. I would have given him to the end of the next day to respond. If you are going to sell online, you need to be online. It does not take much to have a cell phone with email. Any respectable online business will have in place a way to respond to customer inquires within 24 hours at the latest. Most are within a couple hours and even minutes in my experience.

Me, I would just contest the charge as merchandise ordered but never delivered and go buy somewhere else.

Some people do defend him and most say he eventually pulls through with the order. I ordered a 3 gallon keg, brand new for about $100 which is incredible b/c they go for $100 used on Ebay. These are pretty hard to find, so i was surpirsed to see one in stock at that price. Ironically he also sends out a newletter last week to me and the featured item is the 3 gallon keg. HA!

I am starting up the dispute with Pay Pal now. There are better stores out there.

Thanks for the advice.

-John the Brewer

Pretty interesting that this thread is not closed yet ... same thing about other vendors and the thread had been closed a long time ago.
I have ordered twice at kegkits... once last year and had to wait 5 weeks for my stuff. Gave it another chance 1 year later and still had to wait almost 3. Not great by any means;however, I think it is kinda odd whats going on here right now

The big difference with the other threads is that in pretty much every case the mistake was corrected or the gripe was about something insignificant.

There have been very little positive comments about this particular vendor.

Pretty interesting that this thread is not closed yet ... same thing about other vendors and the thread had been closed a long time ago.
I have ordered twice at kegkits... once last year and had to wait 5 weeks for my stuff. Gave it another chance 1 year later and still had to wait almost 3. Not great by any means;however, I think it is kinda odd whats going on here right now

The difference between this thread and others that have been closed is that kegkits has not responded here acknowledging the problem and promising to take care of it.

We closed the thread, in the other case, because the vendor and OP were working to solve the problem. The vendor asked that we withhold comments until it was worked out with the OP.

In a more recent thread about yeast, the OP reported the problem and the vendor's solution. Then we had a re-hash ad-nauseum about whether the OP was being reasonable. Nothing new, just more opinion.

Here, in this thread, we still have discovery. New cases, etc.

Here, in this thread, we still have discovery. New cases, etc.

Which is sad because it appears as though within a year or so I will not have a place to buy grain by the sack....not sad that stories are coming out, but sad that so many people are getting hosed.

Tom emailed me today (after the threats of taking him to the BBB and contacting my credit card company) and agreed to refund my money. I ordered oer a month ago now and he said that he still didnt have the parts to ship the order but he was expecting them in the next day or two :mad:

Anywho, I decided to go the safe route and order from kegconnections eventhough I have not seen his refund into my account.

My suggestions to everyone here, aoid this vendor unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

What I don't get is how he has time to send out email newsletters when he has no time to ship orders or answer emails. Why advertise for more business than you're willing to deal with?
I placed one order with him, and I won't be doing it again. There are too many other businesses that act professionally and deserve a couple extra dollars.
-Ben

Tom emailed me today (after the threats of taking him to the BBB and contacting my credit card company) and agreed to refund my money. I ordered oer a month ago now and he said that he still didnt have the parts to ship the order but he was expecting them in the next day or two :mad:

Anywho, I decided to go the safe route and order from kegconnections eventhough I have not seen his refund into my account.

My suggestions to everyone here, aoid this vendor unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

Apparently he says the parts are comming in 1 to 2 days everytime you call him. Thats his coined answer. Also about your refund. Keep a copy of the email and send it to you credit card. His 'Son' is the one who takes care of the finances according to him and he somehow forgets to refund the money. When you call back to argue, he blames his son again and says he will take care of it personally, which again is a bunch of BS. Just use the email as proof and post a charge back.

I have thretened with BBB and lawsuits. I have also opened a dispute with PAY PAL. No resonse just yet. Time to contact the BBB and escalate my Pay Pal dispute. Might as well call me lawyer too.

Tom, we know you read these, so you had better get in touch with me real quick if you don't want the hassle of this dispute. If this thing has to go any further it will cost you more than just my $100 worth of goods.

-John the Brewer

I wonder if he'll be attending the national conference in oakland this year?;)

The difference between this thread and others that have been closed is that kegkits has not responded here acknowledging the problem and promising to take care of it.

We closed the thread, in the other case, because the vendor and OP were working to solve the problem. The vendor asked that we withhold comments until it was worked out with the OP.

I still believe at some point this thread needs to be closed. Just b/c he doesn't want (for whatever reason) to post here, does not mean it has to happen whats happening right now. I had my issues too and opened a Paypal dispute. Once Paypal escalates it, he responds quickly, believe me.

I just think at some point mods has to have some sort of fairness to this, too.

I still believe at some point this thread needs to be closed. Just b/c he doesn't want (for whatever reason) to post here, does not mean it has to happen whats happening right now. I had my issues too and opened a Paypal dispute. Once Paypal escalates it, he responds quickly, believe me.

Sorry, but just because he responds after weeks of no contact and the customer disputes it based on advice found here we should close the thread?

I cannot think of ANY vendor who treats his customers this way and deserves the benefit of the doubt after multiple examples of leaving customers hanging till they dispute with with Paypal or file a complaint with the BBB. Tom Hargrave Sales of KegKits.com still has an "F" Rating after all these years with the BBB and has a lower than "F" rating with the EdWort rating of LHBS's.

Tom Hargrave has NOT changed how he does business and people are still complaining after waiting weeks after Tom Hargrave took their money, but did not ship what they ordered. Face it.

It's bad business practice to take customer's money and not tell them that it will be a month or so before they get their order (regardless of whatever lame-ass excuse he uses for his own cashflow problems).

Personally I will be glad to close this thread as soon as we put a sticky on it or a new thread subject "Buyer Beware of Tom Hargrave Sales of Kegkits.com" appears.

Tom Hargrave Sales of Kegkits.com has a "F" rating with the Huntsville BBB and takes weeks to ship orders and sucks at customer communications. Spend a few cents more and buy from a vendor that will ship your order in the next business day and and email you the tracking number so you can be kegging this week.

The choice is the consumer's, but Tom's credibility here at HBT is less than ZERO in my book. Any other vendor will step up IMMEDIATELY, not weeks after taking the money.

We have been through this before and it's the same story with Tom.

Once Paypal escalates it, he responds quickly, believe me.

I don't believe you. It has literally been months since I ordered. Tom responded to the initial Paypal dispute, but did not resolve the issue, and has since ignored me. I escalated the dispute to a claim, and he still did not respond to their request for more info.

What exactly do you stand to gain by defending him? I see no reason NOT to expose his dishonesty to more would-be victims.

perhaps several of you who are currently having issues getting responses should try writing an email to the AHA TechTalk list (preferably at the same time). I see his responses in there constantly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back